HI! New to the hobby

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abbysmom09, Jul 10, 2011.

1. abbysmom09

abbysmom09 New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Hi from Colorado. My husband and I picked up four chicks hoping for hens and eventually eggs. Lord help us, two turned out to be roosters. My daughter loves them and thankfully she can sleep through the early morning crowing. I on the other hand get to start my day about 5 am. I'm glad there is a forum like this one where the advice is good advice. I'm going to need all the help I can get:)

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    [​IMG]. Say goodbye to late sleeping. Since I started with chickens I am up at 6am to let them out of their coop. This is a great place to come for advice and learning. I this site has been a saving grace to me in learning about chicken keeping. Good luck on your venture.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    [​IMG]

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    [​IMG] from Ky. Yep they do get you into getting up with the chickens.

You might want to think about replacing at least one of those roo's with a couple more hens because 2 roo's is going to be way to many for 2 girls when those hormones kick in.

5. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana - and yep, I agree with Dan. Once those hormones kick in, you'll probably find yourself wanting only one rooster, and maybe wanting to add another pullet or two. [​IMG]

7. abbysmom09

abbysmom09 New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Quote:We're looking into finding the bigger one a home. He's not playing nice with the smaller one. My husband wants to turn him into dinner. I told him he needed to do that when his daughter was out of the house. At only 23 months old she has claimed those chickens as hers. Any good ideas on where to get grown hens? The feed store only sells the chicks and you can see how well they sexed the last group for us

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] First in defense of feed stores if yours is like the one I work at, we get chicks from the hatchery already sexed unless they are straight run and then you get what you get, that being said the hatcheries are only 90% correct at best. Second I agree you need more hens try craigslist in your area. Around here there are always chickens for sale. As for getting woke up early I am up at 5 am everyday since we started with chickens and I feel much better then when I slept in. My chickens have made me healthier, gets me outside more. Last year was the first year I actually had a tan. [​IMG] Plan big when doing a coop or you will be adding on later. Chickens have a way of mulitipling even without a rooster [​IMG] I satrted with 2 and now have 40 and a broody setting on eggs. Also if you get hens make sure you quarantine for 30 days so you dont bring anything into your flock.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  9. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by