Hi, new to this forum, have read for a few years though!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moving coops, Jan 5, 2017.

1. moving coops

moving coops Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Hi, new to forums. We are a very large homesteading family living on the edge of the boreal forest. We live in the prairie province of Canada! We are about to have our 14th child. And when trying to homestead with such a large number it adds even an extra challenge to produce in that quantity plus learn in that quantity. We have many heritage breeds of chickens and wants to streamline and make best effient use of our birds for our production plus for what the community wants well trying to minimize over neede work to our aleardy go full bore schedule! Lol

Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, moving coops, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Wow! That sounds like one busy family. I agree - quantity would be an issue with that many mouths to feed. Sounds like a beautiful place for your endeavor! Best wishes and thanks for joining our community! [​IMG]

3. Carolinn333

Carolinn333 Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2017
    Welcome to buck I suggest starting with 3 hens already laying

4. Carolinn333

Carolinn333 Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2017
    BYC

5. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks for the greetings! Yes, it is beautiful! Need some good predator dogs to keep everything safe, being on the forest edge. But so beautiful and so much variety of edible herbs and mushrooms out there, it is worth it. And quiet!

Just got to convince the wildlife we are not a buffet restaurant for them....

6. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    Oh, now three hens would never keep up. We have a lot of heritage chickens. And need a lot for just us! But also we sell day old chicks into the city three hours away!
    We have moving egg mobiles we move across our pasture with acres of moveable fence for each egg mobile, giving them space to forage but keep them contained and on fresh grass. And then some med and small moveable chicken tractors as well but have to decide what breeds are best!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under moving coops [​IMG] Welcome!

Wow .. talk about worlds apart, I am smack bang in the middle of suburbia with 1 child and 5 bantam hens! Lol

On the subject of wildlife and buffet restaurants ….

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn’t help myself .. I blame the fact that it is Friday afternoon here in Aus.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hi welcome to BYC. 14 children wow!! Altogether my parents have 7 but you make that look like nothing.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    BIG WELCOME to Backyard chickens. Glad you joined the flock. Hope you have a lot of dish washers in the group.

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by