Hi new to this site and to raising baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by busdriver9799, Aug 19, 2010.

1. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Hi we just bought 24 new baby chicks. They are about 7 days old now. They're mostly for my sons scout project. We did have chickens we cared for before but they belonged to someone else. I have to say they've grown on me. Cute little things. We bought misc straight run so I'm not really sure what they all are. We found a lump on the chicks, mostly on their backs in front of the wing. But my kids got to thinking and they think it's their crop or gizzard. I think so to now. Another question I have is this. First the background. There was a rodeo in town and they had the chicken catch for the kids. About 20 chickens were caught. Now in town we have lots of loose rooster running around. I caught a hen that was starving and have nursed her back to help. But now with the baby chicks I'm worried the hen might hurt them. I have a friend who is looking for a hen. Can you put them together, or should I just give away the other one. Does the whole chicken chase thing bother anyone else as much as me? I hate that! Angela

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Wow - that chicken chase thing sounds awful. I hadn't heard of that before. In most cases, you're right not to combine babies with an older bird, since the older bird might kill the babies. I have put silkies in with babies and they always take to the babies right away, mothering them, but other breeds usually aren't that way as far as I can tell. If it's just the one hen, I think you might be able to combine them together once the babies are around 7 weeks old. It would be good to keep them in sight of the older hen as early as possible though, using a fence or something between their pens. Then they'll get to know each other and you could possibly combine the pens even sooner. I use that plastic-type chicken "wire" to separate a pen in two, as long as the outer fence is more secure. I also put netting over the baby area to keep hawks out, and they're in a solid wood (with wire-windows) container for night-time. Tons of predators around here! (I used to think there weren't, but once they found we were providing easy-meals for them, they came out by the hundreds - lots of hawks, foxes in the daytime, scary groups of coyotes, etc).

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] and a Texas size: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi Angela [​IMG]
    Chicks do feel kind of lumpy and bumpy around the tops of their wings. You will feel their full crops at the front or slightly to the side of their necks.
    Have not heard of chicken catches up where I live. Gezzz....how does one know what kind of home they are going to? Especially if older kids are there without parents and bring a chicken home without checking with parents first (that would have been me as a kid).
    Glad to hear one little hen has got a loving home. I myself would not recommend putting her with the 7 day old chicks. A hen can do alot of damage to a chick pretty quickly no matter how gentle they seem to us. Plus it will be important to make sure she does not bring any disease to your babies.
    If you do keep her I would recommend separating them until the chicks are 7-8 weeks or so then put them together. If she hears them and can see them but not get at them the introduction will probably go smoother...and introducing at night works well when everyone is mellower. The only thing is that she may get lonely but it sounds like you are giving her lots of loving and attention.

5. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    [​IMG]

6. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] from Maine [​IMG]

7. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I found the hen a home, and today I got permission from our mayor to gather up any of the chickens running loose in town. For the rodeo next year I'm trying to get the chicken catch done away with. What I'm doing is taking pictures of the chickens that were caught and let loose this year. They're all starving, loosing all their feather. I'm hoping if I can show how truly cruel it is they'll stop.

8. luvmychicks79

luvmychicks79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenleaf, WI
    Hi, i'm new to this site also, glad for such a useful resource!! Lastnight was our first with our new baby chicks in their brooder set up in the kitchen (for now [​IMG] I seriously felt like a paranoid new mom, Hahaha! I had to keep on checking: make sure they weren't too hot or too cold, or they weren't stressed and pasting up, or the heat lamp didn't fall in the brooder, just to see that they were all doing fine......I didn't sleep very well Geesh! Anyone else get overly paranoid the first night? They seem to be adjusting very well- I'll probably get some sleep tonight [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Overly paranoid "the first night?" Lessee, there's the second night, and then the third night, then the one that follows that one, and the one that follows the day you find the chicks DEAD and you scream and they all wake up and look at you like "Whut?? We wuz just sleeping!' so you have to keep shaking the brooder just a bit to make sure those sleeping chicks are really just sleeping, and then.....

[​IMG]

You're in the right place, all right!

10. luvmychicks79

luvmychicks79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenleaf, WI
    Hahahaha! Very true! One day at a time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by