Hi new to this,

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by new duck mom, Mar 17, 2013.

1. new duck mom

new duck mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    This will be my first night with a baby duck who wnt go to sleep and wnt let me put him down. And this is a confusing site. It's taken me a while just to figure out how to post anything.

2. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Is this your only duckling?

3. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    Yes

4. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    Any help and advice would be very appreciated!

5. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I got my ducky a year ago and she imprinted to me right away. She refused to let me put her down. I didn't buy a big brooder or anything, instead I got a small animal carrier, put a couple washcloths in with food and water in the back of carrier. In the front I put a HotHands pack under the washcloth. She would sit in the front of the carrier and I kept it on my nightstand by bed and as long as she could see me she calmed down. What kind of set up do you have for your duckling now? How old is your little one? Are you planning to keep your duck as pet or are you getting more? It sounds to me like your little on has imprinted to!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  6. muscovylove

muscovylove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Is this your only duck? I remember hearing "nothing is sadder than a single duck", I had one that was a rescue- now I have 7. If you have more than one, they will be each others companions- inseparable.

They are messy, so be prepared to change water and bedding very frequently- and they grow at a very fast rate. Already start thinking about where they will be outside. Ducks have down, which lets them go outside earlier than you'd expect.

Let us know what your questions are! I love my ducks- the eggs, their hilarious bantering- all of it.

7. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    I got my ducky a year ago and she imprinted to me right away. She refused to let me put her down. I didn't buy a big brooder or anything, instead I got a small animal carrier, put a couple washcloths in with food and water in the back of carrier. In the front I put a HotHands pack under the washcloth. She would sit in the front of the carrier and I kept it on my nightstand by bed and as long as she could see me she calmed down. What kind of set up do you have for your duckling now? How old is your little one? Are you planning to keep your duck as pet or are you getting more? It sounds to me like your little on has imprinted to![/quote

8. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas

9. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    My kids brought her home from the park. My husband saw it swim up in the pond and said he climbed out of the water and in my daughters lap, no mom or other babies. Maybe about 2 weeks old. Not sure. He is in one of those see through plastic storage containers with a towel and a small blanket. I'm going to the feed store tom for food. I was told crushed Cheerios would be ok, but do I let him have a bowl of water to sit in or just drink from? Right now he's flipping out bc I put him down.

10. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    I mean he has to be tired. And he keeps pecking the side of the tub. I'm already in love with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by