Hi, new with questions

mountaingirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
Hi everybody!

We recently made a move from the coast of NC to the mountains of TN, with a female Silkie in a dog crate along with a clutch of ten eggs. We had no idea the eggs were fertile at the time of the move, but after candleing, I believe they are, at least some of them. We only brought the eggs along because she so enjoys sitting on them, and we thought it would keep her occupied on the 9 hour car ride. Now that we are fairly sure babies are on the way, we need to know what to do to care for them. Crystal (the mama) is my daughter's pet, and has had limited (but apparently adequate!) contact with a male Silkie she shared a farm with.
My question is, what do we need to do to prepare for these babies? Crystal is in a wire pen right now, does she need to be in something else? Should we change her food? DO we need to provide food for the babies once we hatch? Do they need a heat source? Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Mary
mountaingirl

Well....if there is wire flooring, I would first of all...get her off of the wire....it damages thier feet. As the babies hatch....they will need chick starter feed and water...and warmth. You can leave them with momma....she will see to it they are warm..but try to keep them in a place where it is draft free like indoors. Chick starter, and water, and momma...all they need! Good luck, and welcome....Oh, and we of course want picks!
smile.png

Thank you for the quick reply! No, they're not on wire, it's a grass floor. She is in a home made chicken coop. I'll be happy to post pics tomorrow, and ya'll can critique the pen and tell me what it needs.

Thanks!
Mary
mountaingirl
big_smile.png

OK, all this talk about humidity, proper temperature etc has me worried!!! My eggs are in the back yard under their mama! I know chickens have been raising their own babies for centuries, but shouldn't I be doing something? Boiling water? I have chick starter ready to put out, do I need electrolytes? Do I need to show the babies how to find the food and water? How have chickens managed to do this job without people? I'm worried I'm not doing enough and will kill some baby Silkies in my ignorance.

:)mountaingirl
Mary

Back
Top Bottom