hi..newbie here...hoping for good advice semi 911...please help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by janda0923, Aug 26, 2013.

1. janda0923

janda0923 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    hi. I'm new here...i have used this as a very helpful guide since my husband and i decided to have a few chickens as a hobby. not our original intentions but we have been hatching chicks for the last week(2nd hen laid additional eggs under our brood hen) we're at the end of our wait period...the remaining eggs should have hatched today...when I went to check...there was a damaged egg in the nest...cracked several places all over. I assumed it was lost and after getting our other chicks situated, I went to remove the damaged egg. Well...it moved and cherped at me...there was no pip hole and worried that if I didn't intervene I would assist in its loss...I pulled some of the shell from the top away from its head. Its been approximately 5 hours and I still have a breathing chick but I dont know what to expect or do at this point. Someone please help me...I don't want to hurt the little thing....

Also...I have it under a lamp..not hit just slightly warm but I don't have an incubator because again...this was not our original intention and we decided to let the hen do all the work.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

i answered this on your other inquiry.

1 person likes this.
  3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    You should never try to help the chick out. Let the hen do it, she knows what she's doing. that's why the egg was cracked all over. If not too late, I'd try to put the egg and unhatched chick back with mom and hope for the best. In our experiences here, the mother hen ALWAYS knows more than us lowly humans about how to help her babies hatch, and how to raise them. And it if doesn't hatch, , maybe it wasn't meant to be.

4. janda0923

janda0923 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    I was going to do that but the momma hurt her foot today and she's hopping. The first attempt at getting back on the nest was awkward and clumsy. I was afraid she would step on it trying yo get situated.

5. janda0923

janda0923 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    And last time I checked on them this evening she wasn't even in the nest but hovered over her chicks in the house.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and a belated [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by