Hi! Newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mom3lovebugs, Apr 2, 2016.

1. mom3lovebugs

mom3lovebugs New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm excited to be here!

My family and I are getting chickens in May... 7 laying hens and a rooster plus a few chicks so my kids can watch them grow.

Our coop will be here in a week, then we just need to get the outside run built.

I will be posting a lot of questions I'm sure as this is our first foray into backyard chickens. My sister and Aunt both have chickens so they are also very helpful.

This is the coop from peavey mart... it was a gift from my parents!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated! :)

2. chicken19

chicken19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Welcome!! Nice coop!

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Nice coop. You are doing things in the correct order. First secure housing, then get tenants. What type of chickens are you planning on getting???
    And ABOVE ALL [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please don't put the young chicks in with the grown birds - it would not be a good outcome. When they are old enough to be integrated to the flock please use the "Look but, don't touch," method. I believe you can find that with the search box.

5. mom3lovebugs

mom3lovebugs New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Nope, not doing that... chicks will be in a brooder for quite some time. Thanks! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. It seems like you have everything sorted for your new arrivals, which is great. I hope that between your family and BYC you'll get all the support you need.

All the best
    CT

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Enjoy you chicken adventure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by