Hi, newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rodgis, Jun 13, 2011.

1. rodgis

rodgis New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Re: Sick Chicken? or First Egg?

HI, I'm new here, from the Philippines. Used to raise chickens in Kansas as a kid.

I bought a pair of Chinese Silkies (Wu gu ji) a few weeks ago. She (Wu We) suddenly yesterday was dragging, her wings hanging, stumbling around in their little pen (3 1/2 x 3 1/2 feet on the ground) looking really sick! I immed. went to town and got some antibiotics which I gave her at about 3 pm. I put her in a box, thinking she was surely as good as dead. Also, her bill was open and she seemed to be panting some. I got her to drink some water later in the evening, which had a little MMS in it (sodium chloride), and she was literally lying on her side, feet stretched out, jerking! Poor thing! I didn't know if she'd make it thru the night? Well this morning she was upright, not quite able to walk, but obviously better. At about 2 this afternoon I took her out of the box to get more antibiotics down her little throat, poor thing, and I noticed her first soft-shelled egg in the box! WHAT??? Was that all about laying her first egg?
    Well, she's still better, and eating. The egg busted, of course, because of the soft shell. So, I have to wonder if she was sick or in so much pain from about to lay an egg? And I know that we fed oyster shells to our KS. chickens to produce hard shells. No one here suggested anything like that.
    So what is going on with this poor little hen? I think perhaps she's been a little loose (bowels, not sex) perhaps from the broccoli stems they LOVE! Not sure. Perhaps she really does have something, but the fact that she just laid her first egg at the same time as this incident really baffles me!
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Rod

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

If you post this in the emergencies section you will get more responses. Definately add a source of calcium to her diet. I'm wondering if she was eggbound. Usually, you will be able to feel an egg if it is stuck in the abdomen (too late this time). If it happens again, soaking the hen in warm water can help the egg pass.

3. Patience

Patience Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi rodgis! I'm so sorry to hear about Wu We [​IMG] I saw you found the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures thread and I hope you can figure out what's going on.

In the meantime, welcome from another newbie!

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] sorry to hear you are having problems, but welcome, I must say I am so new, dont have an egglayer yet, but good luck, hope you can get some answers on emergency section.

5. ItsieBitsieJeff

ItsieBitsieJeff Out Of The Brooder

Hello, and welcome to [​IMG]

6. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Welcome to BYC from CA!!! [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH