Hi, newbie here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicka pucella, Mar 20, 2013.

1. chicka pucella

chicka pucella Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Akron, Ohio
    Hello, my name is Shannon. And we just got a batch of 19 chickens 1 week ago. And I'm loving it. So much so, that I want to get more. Right now I have three roosters and the rest are female. I want to get some chicks and separate my males because I don't want any fighting. My third male has a disability and none of the other chickens pay him any mind. Although he does have a female that sticks with him. My issue is that I think they are mixed. I have tried to compare them to other pictures I've seen on the web site but they are just a bit different. I was going to post some pictures and see if anyone can give me a hand. I would love to keep the breeds pure, but is won't bother me if I find out they are mutts. Mutts need love too. Right now I am raising them for eggs, but I have so many people interested in buying my eggs since they come in so many different colors I'm going to have to buy some peeps just to keep up with the demand. Which is fine by me. We all love having them.

Anyways it is great meeting you all. And any advise on introducing my new peeps (once they are old enough) would be great. The girls get a long fairly well. I don't want any bickering. I've been trying to see which females prefer which male and it is a bit tricky. lol

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chicka pucella, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I agree mutts need love too. I've always had a couple and it was only recently that I got into pure breeds. I loved my mutt flock though, they laid well, had great personality and you never know what to expect when you breed them.
    As for the roosters, well, if one is not really an issue the 2 remaining ones should be able to live in peace, given there is enough space and hens for them. If, like you said, you get more hens they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by