Hi! Question on when to move chicks to coop

CandJLager

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2016
Georgia
Hello! I have 8 Rhode Island Red and 8 Barred Rock chicks that are 5 weeks and 2 days old. My question about moving them is about there feathers. how can I tell they're all grown in? We are located just outside of Savannah, Georgia, so the weather at night doesn't drop very low right now (I think 68, right before sunrise, has been the lowest so far). I just don't want to make them uncomfortable by moving them outside too soon but they're getting very big for the brooder and really enjoy being outside when I take them out during the day. I provided a picture of one my girls (who loves for me to hold her) to give an idea of what the rest look like feather wise. Some still have a few tiny, wispy-looking feathers on the back of their neck.

Hi and welcome to BYC!

Now is a good time to move them into the coop. They have enough feathers and since you have been taking them out during the day, it should be a fairly easy transition for them. The little fluff that they have left over won't make a significant difference in their ability to stay warm, and the temperatures sound great.

Good luck!
smile.png

Hello! I have 8 Rhode Island Red and 8 Barred Rock chicks that are 5 weeks and 2 days old. My question about moving them is about there feathers. how can I tell they're all grown in? We are located just outside of Savannah, Georgia, so the weather at night doesn't drop very low right now (I think 68, right before sunrise, has been the lowest so far). I just don't want to make them uncomfortable by moving them outside too soon but they're getting very big for the brooder and really enjoy being outside when I take them out during the day. I provided a picture of one my girls (who loves for me to hold her) to give an idea of what the rest look like feather wise. Some still have a few tiny, wispy-looking feathers on the back of their neck.
My babies get brooded in the coop with a heating pad in Zone 4. They were off heat at 3 weeks, right around Mother's Day. Your babies are good to go!!! Welcome to BYC. Just be sure your coop and run are predator proof. Chicken wire will keep them in, but won't keep predators out.

Last edited:
My babies get brooded in the coop with a heating pad in Zone 4.  They were off heat at 3 weeks, right around Mother's Day.  Your babies are good to go!!!  Welcome to BYC.  Just be sure your coop and run are predator proof.  Chicken wire will keep them in, but won't keep predators out.
we used hardware cloth around the bottom half (about 4' high) then connected it to welded wire for the top half and on the "ceiling".

They look great to go outside now I like to leave mine in the coop for the first week so theyou get to know it and learn that the coop is there house

we used hardware cloth around the bottom half (about 4' high) then connected it to welded wire for the top half and on the "ceiling".
Coons are notorious for reaching through and snagging birds, pulling them to the fence, and eating them through the wire. Weasels can fit through any opening smaller than a quarter. Snakes are also good climbers. They will eat chicks and eggs. Foxes, dogs, coyotes and plenty of other land predators are notorious diggers, will dig under any fence unless it is "skirted". I don't want to be a fear monger, just saving you the experience that many of us, or our friends have dealt with in loss of birds to predators.

Coons are notorious for reaching through and snagging birds, pulling them to the fence, and eating them through the wire.  Weasels can fit through any opening smaller than a quarter.  Snakes are also good climbers.  They will eat chicks and eggs.  Foxes, dogs, coyotes and plenty of other land predators are notorious diggers, will dig under any fence unless it is "skirted".  I don't want to be a fear monger, just saving you the experience that many of us, or our friends have dealt with in loss of birds to predators.
thank you for the heads up! Any bit of info helps! We buried the leftover wire we had around the perimeter of the run to prevent diggers from getting in. My husband actually picked the hardware cloth to put around the bottom portion of the run to keep racoons from reaching in. At least that's what he explained to me. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

Back
Top Bottom