Hi, starting my new member introduction with "help" ! I have had chickens for seven years.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tarin89, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Tarin89

Tarin89 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2017
    One of my first and favorite chickens a Sussex named "Dottie " is sick. Could this be old age illness? She's been moving pretty slow, we brought her inside a day ago and she's barely eating closing her eyes often, sleeping a lot . Watery greenish feces, thin, right wing is drooping . :(

Thanks for any help !

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post in detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Has she been laying recently? Is it possible she is egg bound? Please do mention to them whatever you can think of. Hope they can help you & her out.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Tarin89 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope that Dottie is OK. Definitely check in with the folks on the ER Forum to see if they can help with what ails her.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Tarin89, and :welcome! Happy you joined our community! Hope the ER folks can help you out with Dottie. :). Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :cd

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Best wishes to both you & Dottie...I hope the ER folks can help you out.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    [​IMG][​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined the flock! [​IMG][​IMG]

Is your Sussex doing any better?

8. Tarin89

Apr 5, 2017
    Thank you ! No luck! Force feeding her.[​IMG]

9. Tarin89

Apr 5, 2017
    Hello everyone I noticed her crop is large what's the best thing to do in for crop is impacted I've read about regurgitation or olive oil?

Thanks michele

10. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    There is a lot of information on sour, slow and impacted crops that can be found using the Search box (in the upper left of each screen, under the logo). Here's just one article that may be of use to you:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by