Hi! Suggestions on New Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JessicaAndE, Feb 26, 2017.

1. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Hi! I'm so excited to have just joined here and have a question about coops. My family is about to purchase backyard chickens after talking about it for two years. We aren't handy and can't build our own coop which I know would be best. I've read a lot on this forum that the pre-fab coops aren't good quality. Do any of you have advice or suggestions on where to buy a good coop and run? We are only going to have two hens and are on a budget, but willing to spend enough as to not sacrifice quality. Thanks for any advice!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    First [​IMG]
    If you are going to only have 2 chickens, the prefab coops will do. Problems arise when peeps think they can keep 6 or more in very small coops. As for quality, get what you can afford and make repairs when needed. Nothing lasts for ever. Your entry level coop will give you the start to see just what it takes. Even some of the better $800+ coops are not for ever. Once you get your coop, you may need to fortify and secure depending on your predator situation.
    WISHING YOU BEST.... [​IMG] Ask all that you are not sure of..[​IMG]

3. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and for the great advice and thoughts! I'm happy to hear that a prefab might work for our purposes. You also gave me a good reminder that nothing lasts forever and repairs and changes can be made. I appreciate it so much. Have a great evening! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by