Hi, there, BYCers, Bonnie from Arlington, VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bonniemarie, Nov 22, 2016.

1. bonniemarie

bonniemarie New Egg

Nov 18, 2016
    Arlington VA
    Came to list after finding an article on tube feeding. I have a precious 34 year old white dove Maranatha who is my hearing assistance animal but last year started having head tilt (aka stargazing/torticolis). He is down in wt for the past year from normal 160 g to now averaging 114-124. I have to learn to tube feed him myself. Only did 4 times with vet tech supervising but cannot afford that anymore. Found a great article on this site and welcome any tips and encouragement

2. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never had to tube feed any of my birds but have seen articles on BYC about it. If you use the Search box (upper left corner, under the logo) you should be able to find posts about it. Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks for joining us!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I do hope that you can get the help you require.

All the best
    CT

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

But sorry about you dove's problem.

Since you have already accomplished tube feedings with supervision, I'm sure you can handle this - hope you have someone to assist you.

Good luck and wishing the dove a full recovery.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, BonnieMarie, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Best wishes to you and your dove! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very Nice to meet you Bonnie. I think you will get a lot of information if you post on the "Doves & Pigeons thread." Just put that in the search and it will come up. I know newly hatched birds may need tube feeding/hand feeding so I think they can be of help to you. There is also a caged bird thread which could be of use also. When I raised dogs many years ago I had to learn to tube feed also but, it was probably much easier to do on puppies than birds.

I am really amazed that a dove could be that old. Seems highly of your caregiving abilities.

7. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Pleased to meet you Bonnie. I'm sorry to hear about your Dove, I know how attached you can get to them. Best of luck with everything.

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! But I am sorry about your Dove. I hope he gets better! Best wishes!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bonniemarie [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry that Maranatha is unwell. I do not have any experience with tube feeding and not sure if it is the same for Doves as Chickens but casportpony [Kathy] is very experienced in tube feeding and has recommended these two threads in the past:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-visuals-very-detailed-post#post_11652991

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...cken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid#post_9910754

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by