Hi there everyone! Im new here with a vocal frizzle roo.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bloomingwild, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Bloomingwild

Bloomingwild New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Central Coast
    So happy I came across this place! Lots of wonderful info here its great. Im new and have a question about a very vocal frizzle roo. He just started his cockaldoodledooing 2 weeks ago and it sounds pitiful but he is improving everyday. I guess you can say hes going through puberty. He was a unplanned addition to the family because he was suppose to be a she. Soooo Im worried my neighbor will not appriciate him like I do:D I adore him and Im attached big time and the thought of giving him away breaks my heart. Hes very sweet and I just enjoy him being around and so far he gets along with my ladies. My question is is there anything I can do while he is a youngin that might make him not be so vocal in the morning? Crazy question I know:rolleyes: Mabey making the coop pitch dark? I have a light on inside the coop at night for them because I heard chickens are scared in the dark. They are free range during the day and I lock them up at night. Thank you so much in advance I do appriciate your input! Kerry

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    soundproof the coop... they're quite vocal in their first year...

3. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    talk to your neighbors and see how they fell. mine looks the sounds from my yard. Take them some of your eggs, they will love them and that itself will get them to love your family good luck

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana! Insulating the coop will help. Keeping it dark in there will help (chickens aren't afraid of the dark, although a small light can help train them to go inside on their own each night, and can help deter predators). Smoozing your neighbors by taking them tasty eggs can help w/acceptance. [​IMG]

5. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Go talk to your neighbors, they might not even hear him or actually like the sound. I live at the end of a ciul-de-sac with neighbors on both sides of me and nothing behind me but woods that lead to a main road with commercial buildings. I spent way too much time worried that my neighbors were going to complain and have the city come knocking on my door. I am like you and it would break my heart to re-home any of my peeps. When I finally spoke to my neighbors, one of them laughed and said they had no idea I even had a rooster and the other said they actually enjoy the sound! I insulated the coop have the run facing the woods and this keeps the sound down. You will feel much better after you talk to them and see where they stand. Good luck!

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    All good advice here. You can't keep him quiet - my roo starts crowing at 5:30 am & crows all day long.

I have spoken to all of my neighbors & they are all pretty cool with it. But just to be polite my coop stays locked up tight until 7:30 am. That way any crowing is muffled & doesn't wake people up.

I don't have insulation - but then again - the coop isn't really close to anyone.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the board.

7. Bloomingwild

Bloomingwild New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Central Coast
    Thank you for the tips! I also live at the end of a culdasac and there is a large field next to me where the coop is. I know my neighbor on the other side is pretty laid back and would'nt mind. It's the neighbor across the street who is a trouble maker. He calls the police on everyone and has even made false reports.......complains about everything. We have been here over 2 years and he has never even looked my way. One of my neighbors warned me to be carefull. He thinks he owns the street I guess! I cant go on his property because im scared LOL!! I have talked to his wife a couple times but was told to be carefull about her. He reminds me of the guy from the movie sleeping with the enemy...you now everything has to be perfect and in its proper place. So anyhow I would rather avoid him! I will talk to my hubby about putting more insulation and take it from there! Thanks!! Kerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by