Hi there Everyone! I'm new to chicken keeping and the wonderful forum :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vegplottyhen, Jul 30, 2014.

1. vegplottyhen

vegplottyhen New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Hello [​IMG] My name is Lyn and I'm the extremely proud owner of 12 Welsummer's. I live in England with my hubby, 2 grown up kids and a Cat! Love gardening, my veg plot and of course my chickens!
    I am extremely new to owning chickens, only getting my first batch a little over 2 months ago. I found in the first few weeks that I panicked over everything .... was their run big enough? (We have foxes so can't free range them) are they eating enough? are they stressed? too hot? etc but I'm learning to relax and enjoy them more each day. It didn't help that the guy we bought our first five from basically gave us all the ones he didn't want due to different problems!! which we realised in the following weeks[​IMG] one of the chickens has a pecking problem, one is very small for her age and doesn't lay, and the rooster has been picked on!! all these five dislike being held too!! but i'm slowly working through their issues and love every minute.
    I really love having them and look forward to learning from everyone on here[​IMG]
  2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Lyn, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

Yep always get rid of the kids causing problems sounds normal [​IMG]

Enjoy your poultry ventures ....... [​IMG]

Some of the flock [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Welcome to BYC, Lyn! Glad you decided to join our flock. I love the chocolate eggs of Welsummers. Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock. Cheers.
  4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Hello and welcome. Good luck socializing your birds. I am sure they will come around soon.
  5. N F C

N F C home again! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! Nice to hear you're enjoying your birds, they are a lot of fun especially once everyone gets comfortable with each other.
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! Sometimes it is a bit rough when you are first starting out with chickens. But eventually everything irons itself out.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!
  9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds like you are a chicken social worker as well as an owner. They are lucky you took them in. Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by