Hi there everyone.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Phantom-Bantam, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Phantom-Bantam

Phantom-Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    Hi there everyone.

I live in Norfolk in the UK and have a great size garden for keeping a few chickens, currently 6 but I can definitely fit in a few more!! We have chickens for around 10 years now. We started with hybrid birds but over the years have moved over to bantam breeds only. We currently have 1 frizzle pekin (cochin outside of UK, I think), 2 normal pekins, 1 silkie, 1 serama all girls and we have recently acquired a beautiful pekin boy.

We are thinking of attempting our first hatch (or at least we are going to let the silkie hatch them for us. The boy is about 6/7 months old and think the eggs are fertile and the silkie seems to be broody, which is not unusual for her. We are thinking of going the natural way this time to see how it all goes.

So can I have all your tips/suggestions on how to go about it. Is there actually any truth in the round egg gets more females thing? Is it best to put the silkie in her own nest/house throughout the sitting period or just move her towards the end when the are about to hatch?

All comments are welcome as I really want to get it right and although it seems quite straight forward I feel a bit nervous but also very excited about meeting some fluffy little chickys.

Thanks in advance xx

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I'd say the best place to ask questions is this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ody-hen-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread

Personally, I leave my broodies in the nest of their choice, in the coop and let her do her thing. Once the chicks hatch, I move them to ground level and again, leave mum to choose what's best for her chicks. Not everyone does this, however. Whatever you choose, I would advise against moving the broody part way through the incubation period as she may be inclined to get up and leave the nest.

There's a UK thread that you may also be interested in joining - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/890

Best wishes
    CT

3. Phantom-Bantam

Apr 8, 2017
    Thank you I will have a look at that thread now. x

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think broodies do best where they choose to make a next. There should be some protective fencing etc. around HER area, so other hens do not add more eggs to her nest. And to keep her and the eggs safe. She will need to be put out 2 or 3 times a day to eat, drink & potty. Often good broodies will not leave the next unless forced to do so. In that case they get run down quickly.

Silkies are one of the best broody breeds - although not all of them will ever try.

1 person likes this.
  5. Phantom-Bantam

Apr 8, 2017
    Will it be ok to let her hatch the other chickens eggs? Will she still mother them?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    She certainly will mother them. They can even hatch ducklings - they just get confused when the ducklings jump in any water they can find [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Phantom-Bantam [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Phatom-Bantam, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Best wishes to you and you flock! :woot

1 person likes this.
  9. Phantom-Bantam

Apr 8, 2017
    Hi there and thank you everyone. I can't wait to get started. I am collecting eggs and getting a suitable nest box ready for my silkie so hopefully next weekend we can take the plunge into our first hatch. I am very excited about it I can't wait. [​IMG]

10. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    [​IMG]Hi there and [​IMG]! We're happy you could join us[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by