Hi There From NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RedWhiteandFree, Jan 4, 2017.

1. RedWhiteandFree

RedWhiteandFree Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    Good day to you all!

I used to raise chickens in high-school for FFA and left them there when I went to college. Then, not too long ago my old teacher contacted me to see if I wanted them back otherwise they''d be killed (they aren't the originals, but some of them were bred from my original chickens), so now I have a group of chickens that I am raising on my own for the first time.

I finally decided to join this site after I found so many answers to questions I had already on here, and I am so grateful that there are so many people offering advice here. I cannot wait to become a more active member and share stories of my sweeties!

(I have some White Leghorns, and some Rhode Island Reds. I also have some that are mixed between the two after I hatched some shortly after buying a rooster to add to my flock....reason being there was not a rooster with them when I got them back and I am free ranging them).

Hope you all have much luck with your flocks this year!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under RedWhiteandFree [​IMG] Welcome!

I think it is lovely that your current chickens are the descendants from those in your high school days .. very cool!

You might also want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC, @RedWhiteandFree !!! Thank you for joining us, I hope we can keep answering any questions that come up for you.

Sounds like a good flock to start out with and that is so cool that they are descendants from your old chickens! Do you know how old these hens are? I think that is soooo cool that you are excited about becoming a more active member of BYC. BYC is a great place to find answers, make friends, and REALLY expand your knowledge of birds! [​IMG]

4. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Hi and welcome! I'm also in NC, Polk County.

5. RedWhiteandFree

Oct 24, 2016
    I was not aware about a local thread, thank you very much, I'll be sure to head over there!

6. RedWhiteandFree

Oct 24, 2016
    I'm not actually sure about their ages, some of the reds I received were hatched at different times and then the leghorns were added in separately. My teacher did say that some of them are about 2 now, but I don't know if that is accurate. I do have 7 chicks (5 hens, 2 roos), that I hatched about 3 months ago though. : )

7. RedWhiteandFree

Oct 24, 2016
    Hello there, I currently live in the Rowan County area : )
    About 2-3 hours from Polk

8. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Oh, okay.[​IMG] Wow, fun! Are they from the older ones?

9. RedWhiteandFree

Oct 24, 2016
    Most of them were bred from my original rooster and one or two of the hens. They regularly replaced them and hatched more each semester although the rooster stayed until right before I got them back. So I have no idea how many are actually from my original batch. Although that doesn't really matter to me. All I knew was that if I didn't get them, they were going to just be killed and wasted since they didn't have another student to continue the chicken project. And that just seemed wrong to me.

10. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    That is sooooo cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by