HI there from the Jackson Homestead!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lbjcsa, Mar 18, 2017.

1. lbjcsa

lbjcsa Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Port Hueneme, CA
    My son is 15 and we got our 3 Rhode Island Red chicks on Mon 3/13. They were 5 days old. We are first timers and having fun. I'm sure I will have more in the future, but I have 1 question now. How much grit do I put in their mash?

2. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    1/2 tbs to1 tbs per bird after awhile you can put some in a separate bowl and they will get their own. I am pretty sure it is closer to 1 tbs per bird.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. lbjcsa

lbjcsa Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Port Hueneme, CA
    Thanks!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greeting from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! While they don't need much if any grit with mash, it's good to introduce it before they get anything they will need to grind up in the gizzard. I have heard you apply it in an amount like you were salting you own food.
    As a newbie to chickens make sure you visit the Learning Center - it is loaded wth great articles covering the whole range of chicken keeping:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Also, if you'd like to chat with some local poultry peeps, visit the CA thread here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Good luck and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under lbjcsa [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. lbjcsa

lbjcsa Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Port Hueneme, CA
    My 2 week old Rhode Island Red's.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by