1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi there! Glad I found y'all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rachelbarnes4, Jan 17, 2011.

1. rachelbarnes4

rachelbarnes4 New Egg

Jan 17, 2011
    Hello there! I'm a first flock chicken lover in southwest Texas. I adore my 9 chickens but am somewhat concerned that one of them hasn't completed her molt yet... she looks awful and the feathers she has are all raggedy. All of the other chickens have grown out beautiful shiny feathers. She is a Barred Rock, I have two others that are fine. I think she's been like this for at least 2 months. I've been feeding them a few handfuls of cat food but her condition hasn't changed. I'm worried about her and hope y'all can help. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks and I hope I can help someone someday!

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Welcome to the forum from Canada! I'm not sure whats up with your hen though [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    First, [​IMG].
    Second, your girl may be molting-poor babies look awful during a molt.
    Just check her for lice/mites to make sure it isn't something like that or from rooster damage.
    Some of my girls are molting right now, so it's possible.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC,..[​IMG]

hope you figure out what's up with your hen,. this is the best place to find out,...

6. John-DownEastNC

John-DownEastNC Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Beulaville, NC
    Welcome from DownEast NC. Good luck with your girl. I don't know anything to help...

7. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by