1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi there! I'm a new member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NanaDee1264, Oct 27, 2013.

1. NanaDee1264

NanaDee1264 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Hi there! My name is Donna but you can call me Nana Dee. I'm doing research regarding buying a duck egg and having it imprint on me. This is a ways off in the future, things have to line up just right so it can happen. Like I said, I'm mostly just doing research now. Anyway, I look forward to learning all I can!

Nana Dee

2. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome!Glad you joined BYC! :~D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. NanaDee1264

NanaDee1264 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Thanks chickenboy190. I'm hoping this is the right place for me...kinda concerned there's only info about chickens.

Nana Dee

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
  5. AK Baha

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
  6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Glad to have you! My Grandma Dar from Knudsen Cove Ketchikan AK when she was a pioneer long before it became the swank area it is now......in her little white clapboard house.....hatched some duck eggs and all the ducklings imprinted on her. They followed her everywhere she went and she just loved it. My Cousin Amey (when she was 5) had some baby geese she swore she got from a wild goose who was neglecting her babies (I am sure she chased that momma goose and snatched off the babies) they imprinted on a little banty hen and followed that banty hen long after they towered over momma hen. So I think your experiment will work so long as you have enough time to hang out with them all of the time and let them imprint on you.

Caroline

7. NanaDee1264

NanaDee1264 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Thanks for the link AK Baha...I did find it just before I got your message.

Nana Dee

8. AK Baha

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

9. NanaDee1264

NanaDee1264 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Thanks Caroline, for the nice welcome and your story about your Grandma. I'm thinking of only getting one duck because I'm not sure I want more than that. The thought is to have him/her (Wilbur will be it's name, be it a boy or a girl) imprint on me and having a duck follow me around like a loyal dog. [​IMG] This is all new to me, I don't even know where to begin. So any information you can share would be appreciated. And also, I probably won't be doing any of this for quite some time as I'm waiting for some things to happen first.

Nana Dee

10. birdrescuer

birdrescuer New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    Camano Island, WA
    Welcome from another reasonably new member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by