Hi there - I'm the fresh newbie on the block

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mac WIlson, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mac WIlson

Mac WIlson New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi,

Excited to find this site - living in a suburb of San Antonio TX and grew up going to grandparents on weekends so had decent exposure to chickens & always wanted some. We can have four hens legally. Just barely scratching the surface with my research & whatnot. Been married nearly 24 yrs and should retire from the Air Force in just a few short years. I won't be relocating any more with Uncle Sam so until we can escape suburbia for a few acres further out, I'm hoping to have a great time with raising some hens and looking forward to getting started.
    I live on a green belt behind us so we have concerns with Red Tailed hawks, Owl, Cara-Caras (aka Mexican Eagle), possum & coyote. I have not personally seen any 'coons, but they are in the area. We have three Chihuahuas and a larger mixed breed pooch (my avatar pic).
    Advice is appreciated & if you have any "if I could do it all over again" types of sage advice, I'm all ears. :)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

3. Mac WIlson

Mac WIlson New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank you :)

4. MrBobWhite

MrBobWhite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    paoli, indiana
    Welcome Mac to BYC! I've had hawks and owls kill poultry but its not often. It's the four legged critters that are the main culprits.

1 person likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mac, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! If I could "do it all over again" I'd make my coop and run larger than I did. 4 sq/ft per bird is the recommended coop size and in the run it's 10 sq/ft per bird. That said, during periods when I can't let them free range and they are confined, the larger space would be great. Also, regarding raccoons - you can bet you will see them once you get chickens - it's like leaving a box of Krispy Creme doughnuts in the office - people show up!!!! So, make your coop as predator proof as you can with hardware cloth and good latches, etc!!

Good luck to you in your poultry adventure!

1 person likes this.
  7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC[​IMG] from Wisconsin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by