1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi there - Is there a post that has pictures of coops (the inside)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newBonboard, May 19, 2011.

1. newBonboard

newBonboard Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I need to start and get mine ready to use and I am not sure what I need to do to the inside.. the structure is build but not sure how to make the nesting boxes and in general I want to make sure I have everything in there the chickens need. I just have 4 [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    I have Barred Chickens..do the nesting boxes need to be an exact size ?? And when we use the terminology " nesting box " is that the box when they lay their eggs ?? YES.. I'm NEW at this lol

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If you peruse the coop section, you will find lots of pictures of the inside of coops. Nesting boxes are where they lay eggs. You don't need a nesting box for every chicken as they tend to share. How many do you have?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

5. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    I have 4 - They will be 4 weeks old on Sat and I want to get their coop ready [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

lol...well, then you have plenty of time to prepare nest boxes, as they won't need them until they're appx. 5 months old. Most will say you'll only need one nest box, but I'd use two. You never know when a hen might go broody and hog a nest box. Some use 12x12 nest boxes, but I prefer 14x14. Barred rocks are fairly small, compact birds, so you could probably get by with the smaller measurement fine if needed.
    Enjoy your chicks - they grow up FAST!!

7. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    HAHA - I wasn't thinking about that I guess I do have lot's of time [​IMG] So .... chicks turn 5 - 6 weeks old.. it's than warm enough out and what ?? You just let them walk around freely in their coop and run with no lamp and such ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by