1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi there!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IrishFarmGirl, Apr 11, 2016.

1. IrishFarmGirl

IrishFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Oregon
    Hello all!

My name is Autumn and I live with my boyfriend and 2 kiddos in Oregon on 5 acres. Our little farm is growing by the day, and I'm super excited that we've started keeping chickens.

Currently, we're brooding 10 chicks. While I hope they're all pullets, I have a sneaking suspicion that at least one of them is a roo (a cute little Polish cross that likes to strut around the brooding area and has some fairly long tail feathers coming in). Once we're done brooding, we'll coop them in a large shed-like barn that we've adapted with roosting bars. They'll be free range during the day after they've decided that's home. Then, when we're to the point of laying, we'll add the nesting boxes!

Any advice or "hey, I wish I knew this before" tips are always welcome and appreciated. I'm more familiar with the larger animals (cows, pigs, etc), and this is my first foray into chickens. While I've done a lot of research, I know that there is no substitute for all of the experience I can gather from others. :)

2. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Hey, Miss Autumn. ( I hey'ed you, now you've got to hey
    me back)

Most of our "Wish I knew this before" advice comes from
    our "I won't do that no more" experience...

But hang on, cause farm life is quite the ride.

Spook

3. IrishFarmGirl

IrishFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Oregon
    Hey, Spook. (Now you've been hey'd back.)

I'm not new to farm life, so I know what you mean. I love the ride, though it's a completely different ride now that I've got my own farm starting and not the family's farm. Of course, I also try to come with the wisdom my age says it should bring with...we'll see how it goes. heh

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. MaranMarze

MaranMarze New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Pineville Louisiana
    Hello from Louisiana

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Autumn and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. If age and wisdom are proportional, someone forgot the wisdom bit, in my case! [​IMG]

At this point, maybe you might wish to read up on moving your chicks from the brooder to the coop - just type "from brooder to coop" in the search box and have a read of whatever takes your fancy.

All the best
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yay, Spook is here and Brent is back [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Autumn, glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. My advice is to spring for 1/2" hardware cloth instead of using flimsy chicken wire. Your birds will thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by