Hi There

GreenGabe

Hatching
Jan 8, 2017
P-Cola, Florida
So, I guess I am technically new to BYC but since I got my first batch chickens at the end of November (5 Black Aussies), I often find myself lurking here to see what I should do. Just got 4 more (2 silky-cochin crosses and two Amercaunas- if that is how you spell it lol). I am having a problem though, two of them are having eye problems. They are different, but seem to be pretty bad in both cases. One silky cochin mix is keeping one eye closed, and has like one feather matted onto it, and one Black Aussie has a little blood and some pus coming out of it and she is trying to keep it closed. If anyone can help, that would be very much appreciated!

welcome-byc.gif
I am glad you joined us! But I am very sorry about your chickens! I don't know what advice to give you because I've never experienced something like this before, but if I were you I would check out this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

And if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, or just hop over to the Learning Center for lots of info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I hope you enjoy BYC and find it helpful, best wishes!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Good advice from RodNTN, I hope someone there can tell you what's going on. If you have photos, that could help with the diagnosis.

Good luck to you!

I wish I could take some photos, but my phone is currently down. When I get it back up and running I will try, but to try to help solve their eye problem, I put some saline solution and then some neosporan on them both because my mom found something online about how that helps. I went out afterwards to try to clean their coop, and little Chewbacca (Silkie Cochin) had her eye bleeding really bad. Found out it was an ulcer and the stuff we did to it drew it out. They are inside now and are sleeping. I hope they feel better!
th.gif

I wish I could take some photos, but my phone is currently down. When I get it back up and running I will try, but to try to help solve their eye problem, I put some saline solution and then some neosporan on them both because my mom found something online about how that helps. I went out afterwards to try to clean their coop, and little Chewbacca (Silkie Cochin) had her eye bleeding really bad. Found out it was an ulcer and the stuff we did to it drew it out. They are inside now and are sleeping. I hope they feel better!
th.gif

I hope they're both better soon!
fl.gif

Greetings from Kansas, GreenGabe, and :welcome! Happy you joined our flock. You've already been given some great links and advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

G’Day from down under GreenGabe
frow.gif
Welcome!

Best wishes to you and your gals; I do hope that they recover well.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Do you think the other birds may have bloodied the silkie-cochin's eyes? Chickens cannot resist pecking at any injuries.

Back
Top Bottom