Hi there!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilChickenMomma, Mar 29, 2012.

1. LilChickenMomma

LilChickenMomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    Brevard County, Fl
    Hi everyone!
    I am new to the forum, been doing a lot of research while I was winning my husband over to allow me to get chickens! We got our batch of chicks yesterday, 6 of them, and I LOVE them already! My son has not left the side of the coop in like 24 hours!
    Anyone have any advice that I won't fins in a book?!?!?![​IMG]

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    [​IMG]
    Your son is so cute with those blue eyes.
    Yes, I have a small bit of advice for you: Chickens like to peck at shiny things. That includes wet, shiny, eyes. Chicks are ok but don't let him make a habit of letting birds so close to his eyes.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Denise

3. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Hello and welcome!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

I agree, your son is adorable!!!!!

This is the best site to be on if you have questions..........People on there are very helpful and have lots of great ideas!!!

Enjoy your chickens and I wish you the best of luck!!!

4. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio.

We kept our first batch inside way too long. When weather permits, give them short amounts of outside time (30-60 mins) with you for protection. Once they go outside, provide chick grit or sand for them to be able to break up the grass, weeds, or bugs that they have to investigate. Enjoy your peeps!

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Keep anti bac next to the brooder and make it a habit of using a squirt before and after handling,

Chicks of all ages like to peck at freckles

Wear a cap or hoodie when going in the coop it keeps stuff out of your hair when someone decides to flap their wings and stirs up everything and especially if someone lands on you with choc pudding poo on their feet [​IMG]

Buy a pair of cheap slip on shoes for chicken use only

Chicks like toes.

If you check on the chicks before you go to work and you're running a bit late make sure you have wipes in your car because you will get something on you.

Have a pair of gloves with grippers that fit good because you will prob have to untangle a hen from something like a rose bush and if she's freaked out she will peck and peck hard

That's about all I can thing of at them moment.

6. LilChickenMomma

LilChickenMomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    Brevard County, Fl
    Wow, thanks! Yes, my son's eyes are addicting, that's what got me into photography! Thanks for the info about not keeping the chicks near his face. That was my fault as I told him to get closer and say cheese.
    I live in Fl and the weather is rather warm, I'm just so scared to bring them outside yet! Working on building the run to attach to the coop this weekend.
    Thanks again :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by