Hi to BYC from South Louisiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pawpaws Aviary, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Pawpaws Aviary

Pawpaws Aviary Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Addis, La.
    Well this is MawMaw from PawPaw's Aviary. Should be Mawmaw and PawPaw's Aviary since I am doing the "cleanup" work. [​IMG]
    We have been reading BYC for the last 3 months or so, cramming in as much information as we could put in these "ole" brains. [​IMG]
    We want to thank each and everyone of you who post such great information. We have learned so much. Let me back up some. My brother gave us 37 button quail eggs to hatch and his incubator to use. We hatched 14 quails 6 weeks ago and we have 11 healthy quail today. Two of them we feel were just not strong as birth and one was "picked" on and it was to late after we realized what was happening. We ended up putting them in 3 DIY brooders with lights earlier then expected from the incubator, but as I said all 11 are happy little quail today. My brother has quail and we were always interested in them. After relocating to the country we knew it was time. I wanted quail but I didn't want then stuck out in the weather, so my hubby built just what I wanted for the cage. It is located in our garage and after looking at all the designs on BYC , it is just what I wanted. Very easy to clean and keep up. Hubby built a finch aviary also. We have 7 finches in it, but they are getting ready to be shipped off to a friend and hubby is going to convert the aviary into another quail cage. I am totally in LOVE with these cute little button quail. I will attach pictures to this thread for all to see. Thanks again and glad to meet everyone. M & P

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

3. Pawpaws Aviary

May 26, 2016
    Addis, La.
    Wanted to add pictures to above post

[​IMG]

37 eggs ready to go

[​IMG]

We are the proud parents of our first baby quail

[​IMG]

14 hatched and in the brooder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 long cage, with slides to make 4 separate cages. Pull out drawers for cleaning and lift tops

4. Pawpaws Aviary

May 26, 2016
    Addis, La.
    The below cage is 2' x 1.5' x 8'

5. Pawpaws Aviary

May 26, 2016
    Addis, La.
    [​IMG]

1 long cage or 4 individual cages. Pull out drawers for easy cleaning and lift tops.

2' x 1.5' x 8' full length

2'x 1.5' x 2' 4 divided cages

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very, very nice. What tiny little eggs. I have a feeling you have fallen for button quail in a BIG way. Bet bycers would love to see your photos on the quail thread as well.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by