Hi to fellow chicken-lovers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GallusGirl, Feb 18, 2013.

1. GallusGirl

GallusGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Davis, CA
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    When I was a young child I had a Golden Sebright bantam rooster and a Mille Fleur d'Uccle hen, and their chicks were the most amazing pets I could dream of. (I've actually been a vegetarian since I was 10 years old because my pet hen was my best friend, and I couldn't possibly imagine eating such a worthwhile companion). It's been a long time since my childhood on the farm, but now I have a home and a big backyard of my own and I'm hoping for some hens to spoil...and maybe a few fresh eggs every once in a while.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Currently working towards obtaining my chickens and definitely in need of some help. I want 2-4 bantams like the ones I had growing up; Golden or Silver Sebrights, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Belgium Bearded D'anvers, or Barbu de Grubbes would be my ideals. I'd also be happy with Japanese or Nankin bantams, something a little less "fancy," but I do prefer my chickens on the smaller side. Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of trouble finding small numbers of bantam pullets right now. The smaller the chicken, the harder it is to determine sex or ship in small quantities. This is a dilemma; legislature in my hometown allows up to 4 hens, but no roosters. I'd really rather not have to abandon any little roosters, but I'd also like the opportunity to socialize my future backyard chickens when they are chicks! Recommendations?

(3) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I recently got a Master's degree in Osteoarchaeology at the University of Southampton and love to travel, but I'm also a huge fan of working around home and in my garden. I share a house with my boyfriend of 10 years or so and our Italian Greyhound Gianna (I found her on Craigslist about 3 years ago).

Nice to meet you, this seems like a lovely internet community for people who love chickens as much as I always have!

~Laurel

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky and [​IMG]

4. LovePolish2

LovePolish2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Missouri
    Welcome from Missouri! :)

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. GallusGirl

GallusGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Davis, CA
    Thanks for the lovely welcomes! Much appreciated, as are links and advice. I've been browsing the Buy-Sell-Trade and Breeders links, still haven't posted a "Wanted" ad yet as there seems to be a rule about not posting anything in the "Buy-Sell-Trade" forums until you have posted 20 times elsewhere...confusing, when you joined BYC to find a chicken. I'll try local Craiglist and breeders first, keep posting in other forums for a while, and then make myself a "Wanted" ad!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC. You might also try the "Where am I - Where are you" section to find people who live close to you who raise bantams. Best of luck finding your perfect little hens :)

9. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Florida!![​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by