Hi to you all from Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lawschicks, Mar 9, 2017.

1. lawschicks

lawschicks New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    Cable, Ohio
    My husband and I have had our chickens for about 1 year. We have 22 hens and 2 roosters. We just recently hatched our first egg. We are concerned about our chick. It is very active and makes a lot of noise. However twice now it has fallen on its back and can't get up. We gently turn it over and then it seems to have trouble walking for a short period of time. Anyone have any suggestions of what is going on or what we should be doing?
    Thanks,
    Katie

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi, Katie, and welcome to BYC - so glad you've joined us! Congratulations on your first hatch. How old is the little one now? Do you know what breed it is (not sure if your flock is a mixed flock)? Was it incubated by you or hatched under a broody bird? If you observed the hatch, were there any complications in the hatch? Have you seen the chick eat, drink and pass waste as of yet?
    Sometimes they can get off to a bit of a bumpy start and it can take them some time to figure out how to make their body parts all work as they are meant to work, so if this is an hours old baby I'd be less concerned than if it is a 3+ day old chick. It may be simply a matter of the normal process of building strength and coordination, or there could be something more troubling going on, understanding a bit more about your little one will help to sort that out for you.
    Are there more chicks expected to hatch? Raising a lone chick has it's own set of potential problems so if that is the case we can help you with ways to address them.

3. lawschicks

lawschicks New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    Cable, Ohio
    The chick hatched early Monday morning in an incubator. Our flock is mixed- we have an Americauna rooster and a leghorn rooster. The hens are black sex links, isa browns, Rhode Island reds and leghorns. The hatch seems to have been fine. It is the only one that has hatched out of 8 that we were pretty sure had chicks in them. Haven't seen it eat or drink but the water seemed to have been drank. No sure if it has passed any waste yet.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your little chick!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your only chick is lonely. Give him a non breakable mirror, so he thinks there is another chick with him. Let him have a small stuffed animal to cuddle with. If still making a lot of nose he may be too cold. Do you have a heat lamp for him ? Check temperature at his level. Newborns are usually at 95 degrees the first week and lower temp by 5 degrees each succeeding week - till fully feathered out and not in need of extra warmth.

If he's alone in the brooder(?) you should be finding some chick droppings to show he is going potty. Keep check on him to make sure he doesn't have or develop pasty butt.

Did you dip his beak in the water, so he knows where to drink? To show him what to eat tap on the feeder(like his mother would do).

1 person likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Katie [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already been given some good advice and starting points, I will just wish you and your little one all the best. I do hope (s)he has some company soon.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by