Hi We are new

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
My son Loren and I LOVE poultry. I have shown poultry a few times, but not lately. My son just turned 5 and we have 6 horses (2 arabs, 1 half Arab 1 haflinger and 2 minis) 4 peas, a bunch of chickens, 2 ducks, 4 turkeys, 8 parakeets, 9 gouldian finches a cat and a mini rex rabbit. Yep, all this and no dog, sad I know. We are working on getting a dog, but we need to fence our yard first.
We moved here to WA from New Hampshire almost 2 years ago. We shipped out horses, mailed some of our chickens, and brought our dog too, but he died of canser (at age 14) and we got another dog, but he was killed just after christmas when he was hit by a car. So that is why we need a fence before we get another dog. It has been hard not having one.
Anyway, here are some pictures for ya.
Just wanted to introduce us.
Shellie
(Please excuse all the junk in the background. We were in the middle of moving in this picture)
l_33b279545e8ec8496c4fcc95c6a759f9.jpg

l_70645c636ae3c2dfacdbfe8a96e8bc9f.jpg

l_eeb13baae02f089465ffa20f776cd213.jpg

l_e138f374b9f8fafec3e6b5e2e735801c.jpg

l_c100883d47a386b02a89a4f24e388e82.jpg

Your horse sure looks like a good mover. Is that one of the Arabs? Welcome to BYC.

I'm curious, how do you like life in Washington state as opposed to New Hampshire?

welcome-byc.gif

Great pics; that horse is really a very nice mover. And that pic of the mini is adorable. That was quite a move you made, from east coast to west.

Thank you.

The mare is Cleopatra Jones. She is half Arab and half Andalusian. I sold her last year when we still had not sold our house back East and were looking at having problems boarding all the horses and paying rent for our selves. It was a stressful time. I also sold this mares dam who was full Arab, but still have Cleo's full brother, CJ. He looks a lot like her, but not as nice a mover. He is my husband's horse. Cleo now lives the good life with her new owner and she and I have become good friends. Cleo does dressage, jumping, and goes on mock fox hunts also. Cleo has gone further with her new owner then she ever would have with me.
We are picking up my husband's 26 y/o pure bred Arab mare from his mother's house (in Ca) in August (We took her down there when things got tough) and are also bringing home a blind in one eye 17 y/o Arab gelding we are being given. Don't know if we really want him, but we agreed to take him.
It is harder to live here then in New Hampshire. The cost of living is killing us here. There was no sales tax or income tax there and property tax was not that bad. We moved here from CA and lived there for 6 years. We loved it except for the bugs and ice. -20 was not much fun either actually. But we had 25 arces, and a cool old 1900's house. Now we live in a double wide of 5 acres. Ho well. That is the price you pay for living on the West Coast I guess.
My hubby is in the National Guard and I am now a stay at home mom. It is hard when things get tight for me to stay home and not go to work, but paying for day care would be what I was working for, so I am ok with staying home, for now.

L&Schickens :

Thank you.

The mare is Cleopatra Jones. She is half Arab and half Andalusian. I sold her last year when we still had not sold our house back East and were looking at having problems boarding all the horses and paying rent for our selves. It was a stressful time. I also sold this mares dam who was full Arab, but still have Cleo's full brother, CJ. He looks a lot like her, but not as nice a mover. He is my husband's horse. Cleo now lives the good life with her new owner and she and I have become good friends. Cleo does dressage, jumping, and goes on mock fox hunts also. Cleo has gone further with her new owner then she ever would have with me.
We are picking up my husband's 26 y/o pure bred Arab mare from his mother's house (in Ca) in August (We took her down there when things got tough) and are also bringing home a blind in one eye 17 y/o Arab gelding we are being given. Don't know if we really want him, but we agreed to take him.
It is harder to live here then in New Hampshire. The cost of living is killing us here. There was no sales tax or income tax there and property tax was not that bad. We moved here from CA and lived there for 6 years. We loved it except for the bugs and ice. -20 was not much fun either actually. But we had 25 arces, and a cool old 1900's house. Now we live in a double wide of 5 acres. Ho well. That is the price you pay for living on the West Coast I guess.
My hubby is in the National Guard and I am now a stay at home mom. It is hard when things get tight for me to stay home and not go to work, but paying for day care would be what I was working for, so I am ok with staying home, for now.

welcome-byc.gif
hello! I'm in WA, too....I have an arab x andalusian mare, as well....she's 15.3h, bay and did I mention, gorgeous? Your mare looked like a good mover. She actually looks a lot like one of my fillies...​

Wow I love those pictures!!

welcome-byc.gif
Hope you love it here as much as I am!

I wish we got snow down here in the south..the picture of you guys in the snow makes me so envious. (spelling)

^^Equibling, Good to hear from you! I think the Hispano-Arabe is a great horse. I was glad to have the chance to breed 2 of them. But, now I am done with that, for now anyway.

Here is a picture of Cleo's full brother, who we still have. he is 8 this year and Cleo is 7.

l_c103fe8c720ba68f09c2215059c669e3.jpg

CJ with my hubby up:
l_117dbef369f108be59beac0d3a29f47a.jpg

us at the beach in NH. My son and I are on Velvet, CJ and Cleo's dam.
l_9b83e0070cc52fac77b27eabbb01d6ee.jpg

and Cleo and CJ together. Loren is on the fence. Cleo is the taller one next to the fence.
l_422305d7f6fc493e6f6ab944aeb865d4.jpg

We are more of a trail riding family now that we have a kid, so my horse show days are very limited and I can't afford lessons any more. Bummer, but on to the next thing. Nothing wrong with trail ridding.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom