Hi We are new

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by L&Schickens, Jun 11, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    My son Loren and I LOVE poultry. I have shown poultry a few times, but not lately. My son just turned 5 and we have 6 horses (2 arabs, 1 half Arab 1 haflinger and 2 minis) 4 peas, a bunch of chickens, 2 ducks, 4 turkeys, 8 parakeets, 9 gouldian finches a cat and a mini rex rabbit. Yep, all this and no dog, sad I know. We are working on getting a dog, but we need to fence our yard first.
    We moved here to WA from New Hampshire almost 2 years ago. We shipped out horses, mailed some of our chickens, and brought our dog too, but he died of canser (at age 14) and we got another dog, but he was killed just after christmas when he was hit by a car. So that is why we need a fence before we get another dog. It has been hard not having one.
    Anyway, here are some pictures for ya.
    Just wanted to introduce us.
    Shellie
    (Please excuse all the junk in the background. We were in the middle of moving in this picture)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Fabulous pics.

Sorry to hear about your dogs. [​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Your horse sure looks like a good mover. Is that one of the Arabs? Welcome to BYC.

I'm curious, how do you like life in Washington state as opposed to New Hampshire?

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Great pics; that horse is really a very nice mover. And that pic of the mini is adorable. That was quite a move you made, from east coast to west.

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thank you.

The mare is Cleopatra Jones. She is half Arab and half Andalusian. I sold her last year when we still had not sold our house back East and were looking at having problems boarding all the horses and paying rent for our selves. It was a stressful time. I also sold this mares dam who was full Arab, but still have Cleo's full brother, CJ. He looks a lot like her, but not as nice a mover. He is my husband's horse. Cleo now lives the good life with her new owner and she and I have become good friends. Cleo does dressage, jumping, and goes on mock fox hunts also. Cleo has gone further with her new owner then she ever would have with me.
    We are picking up my husband's 26 y/o pure bred Arab mare from his mother's house (in Ca) in August (We took her down there when things got tough) and are also bringing home a blind in one eye 17 y/o Arab gelding we are being given. Don't know if we really want him, but we agreed to take him.
    It is harder to live here then in New Hampshire. The cost of living is killing us here. There was no sales tax or income tax there and property tax was not that bad. We moved here from CA and lived there for 6 years. We loved it except for the bugs and ice. -20 was not much fun either actually. But we had 25 arces, and a cool old 1900's house. Now we live in a double wide of 5 acres. Ho well. That is the price you pay for living on the West Coast I guess.
    My hubby is in the National Guard and I am now a stay at home mom. It is hard when things get tight for me to stay home and not go to work, but paying for day care would be what I was working for, so I am ok with staying home, for now.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] NICE PICTURES! Love that one of you son picking up that BIG chicken! WOW lol CUTE

7. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Welcome to BYC. Great pictures. Hope things get better for you soon.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

L&Schickens :

Thank you.

The mare is Cleopatra Jones. She is half Arab and half Andalusian. I sold her last year when we still had not sold our house back East and were looking at having problems boarding all the horses and paying rent for our selves. It was a stressful time. I also sold this mares dam who was full Arab, but still have Cleo's full brother, CJ. He looks a lot like her, but not as nice a mover. He is my husband's horse. Cleo now lives the good life with her new owner and she and I have become good friends. Cleo does dressage, jumping, and goes on mock fox hunts also. Cleo has gone further with her new owner then she ever would have with me.
    We are picking up my husband's 26 y/o pure bred Arab mare from his mother's house (in Ca) in August (We took her down there when things got tough) and are also bringing home a blind in one eye 17 y/o Arab gelding we are being given. Don't know if we really want him, but we agreed to take him.
    It is harder to live here then in New Hampshire. The cost of living is killing us here. There was no sales tax or income tax there and property tax was not that bad. We moved here from CA and lived there for 6 years. We loved it except for the bugs and ice. -20 was not much fun either actually. But we had 25 arces, and a cool old 1900's house. Now we live in a double wide of 5 acres. Ho well. That is the price you pay for living on the West Coast I guess.
    My hubby is in the National Guard and I am now a stay at home mom. It is hard when things get tight for me to stay home and not go to work, but paying for day care would be what I was working for, so I am ok with staying home, for now.

[​IMG] hello! I'm in WA, too....I have an arab x andalusian mare, as well....she's 15.3h, bay and did I mention, gorgeous? Your mare looked like a good mover. She actually looks a lot like one of my fillies...​

9. lewisfarmgurl

lewisfarmgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    Wow I love those pictures!!

[​IMG] Hope you love it here as much as I am!

I wish we got snow down here in the south..the picture of you guys in the snow makes me so envious. (spelling)

10. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    ^^Equibling, Good to hear from you! I think the Hispano-Arabe is a great horse. I was glad to have the chance to breed 2 of them. But, now I am done with that, for now anyway.

Here is a picture of Cleo's full brother, who we still have. he is 8 this year and Cleo is 7.

[​IMG]

CJ with my hubby up:
    [​IMG]

us at the beach in NH. My son and I are on Velvet, CJ and Cleo's dam.
    [​IMG]

and Cleo and CJ together. Loren is on the fence. Cleo is the taller one next to the fence.
    [​IMG]

We are more of a trail riding family now that we have a kid, so my horse show days are very limited and I can't afford lessons any more. Bummer, but on to the next thing. Nothing wrong with trail ridding. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by