Hi Y'all! From South Shore Ranch -- Moore, Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CulinaryClutz, Aug 29, 2013.

1. CulinaryClutz

CulinaryClutz New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

My name is Bekah. My family's been raising chickens & selling eggs for 5 years (longer for me when I lived in Oregon as a teen.). It was a blessing to have our place spared after the May 19th & May 30th tornadoes ripped thru our lil town. Our production was in full swing at the time so we stopped selling eggs for a spell & and began donating them to the local churches who opened their doors for Tornado Relief.

Aside from poultry farming, I am an instructor at our local junior high and an AF spouse. We have three awesome kids who keep us on our feet with their special challenges (Autism, Dyslexia, Asperger's Syndrome, OCD, ADD/ADHD, MDS & NVLD). As an addition to our birth children, we are Host Parents to 2 of the coolest Foreign Exchange Students (from Japan & Germany)!

I'm excited to also share that we will be investing in Low Line cattle hopefully by next Fall, after we clear away a portion of our densely wooded land.

I can't wait to jump right into the threads and learn your tips and tricks on raising your flocks, as well as offer my own input. For so long I've been on the outside of your site, looking in as I Googled my queries, so this is exciting to become an official member!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. Michelle82

Michelle82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]Welcome. This is a great place to learn. Post some pictures of your chickens. We'd love to see what you're keeping

3. CulinaryClutz

CulinaryClutz New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We raise a mix of different breeds, Buff Brahmas, Leghorns, Golden Sexlink, RIR, Barred-Rock/Americauna mix, Americaunas, Speckled Sebrights, Dominique, Delaware, Minorcas and one cutie named Snowball who is a Silkie.

4. Michelle82

Aug 4, 2013
    Loving the snowball. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. CulinaryClutz

CulinaryClutz New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thank you! She's a spoiled lil thing.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills. :frow

You are to be commended for your charity to the unfortunate. :thumbsup

My chicken addiction provided far more eggs than I could use myself or sell to the occasional buyer, so I frequently donated a couple flats of eggs to the closest local church for its community pantry. It has been the most satisfying type of donation I have ever experienced; one can't always be sure cash is being utilized for the needy instead of paying organization costs and gently used clothing requires attention and management. Eggs are nutritious and an immediate boost to somebody's life, especially when they are struggling.

You have certainly joined a large (virtual) community of like-minded folks in BYC.

7. Michelle82

Aug 4, 2013
    I'd love to keep Silkies again. Hawks flew off with mine, but I have too many chickens as it is. Welcome to go look at all my pictures. Just click on my name, go to my profile. Pictures are way at the bottom of the page. I have to go to bed.

So goodnight, form a dyslexic ADD fully functional adult. [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Bekah, you have a heart as big as all outdoors. I am very much humbled by all you do. Best wishes for you, your family and farm.

1 person likes this.
  10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, CulinaryClutz, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I really admire all you are doing! Good luck and bless you!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by