Hi y'all. Neighbors moved, chickens didn't....help and advice needed.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wing-lady, Feb 10, 2013.

1. wing-lady

wing-lady New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    In case you haven't guessed yet I am a country/Southern lady. I live in an area of SE Ky where it is not uncommon (I am ashamed to say) for people to move off leaving some animals to fend for themselves. Mostly it is a dog or cat (and yes, I have a dog done that way too, but hey, I know dogs, chickens not so much). Yes, I grew up helping my Mammy (Grandmother to most folks) and my Mommy (and no you can't ask my age cause she is my Mommy till I pass) catch, pluck, singe, well, y'all know the routine. What I didn't pick up on is how to care for chickens. I have decided if I am gonna keep feeding them (it's been over a year now) birdseed and making an extra pone of cornbread for them when I bake it, saving bread crusts, you know just generally giving them a little extra. So to make this long story short they are most definitely free range chickens and I can get Chick-Chick to come within 2 feet of my outstretched hand, is there any chance to catch and pen these chickens or should I even bother? Oh did I mention there are 3 of them? I aint gonna tell you what I call the other two.
    Thanks,
    Wing-lady

2. I'd say they are yours now. Pen 'em and feed 'em and keep 'em.

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Sounds like they are some pretty independent birds. Do you know where they sleep? because that is the easiest way to catch them unless you have a good net...But if you catch them and put them in a coop for a week with food and water, and a place to roost then it is very likely that after a week or so and you let them out, they will come back to that coop at dusk from there on.

4. wing-lady

wing-lady New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    Thanks,
    That is sorta what I was thinking.

5. wing-lady

wing-lady New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    I think they sleep in bushes and or vines in the trees around the house. Do I need a net if it is at night? Or will just sturdy gloves do? I have to admire them cause they know my cat nor my dogs pose no danger to them and will actually let them get quite close but when it comes to me the 2 renegades run up the hill whereas Chick-Chick (I know, the name sucks, but hey, it works) will actually come closer to me. I don't think I would want to terrorize them with a net not to mention not having one.
    I guess now I get to search your site for basic coop and pen...sigh.
    Thank you for helping

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have a coop and pen? If so start feeding them in the run. When all are in the run at the same time just shut the gate. Keep them penned up until they are content roosting in the coop.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I agree with Sourland. If you do try to catch them at night, you probably don't need gloves, just grasp them firmly over the body pinning their wings to their sides and walk them to the coop or put them in a box to transport. there will probably be a lot of squawking and fussing.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Sad state of affairs when people abandon animals - glad you rescued them! I think you will find BYC invaluable in your journey as new chicken owner. Good luck to you!

9. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    [​IMG]

10. wing-lady

wing-lady New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    No coop yet but since one has been named and I learn the basics of how to construct a simple (read as complicated) one, I hope they will be content there. I appreciate all tips and advice so thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by