Hi y'all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChrisNTiffs, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ChrisNTiffs

ChrisNTiffs New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    Slickville,Pa
    My husband Chris and I are very new to raising chickens. I have always wanted a small "farm" with chickens pigmy goats and maybe some pigs. Well this past spring we decided to start trying to make that dream come true.

We bought 6 Rhode Island Reds mixed gender and 6 Rhode Island Reds all hens from local tractor supply. After the first night of having them we lost one. So we decided to try and place it not realizing we would have to buy 6 more. But we said what the neck why not take the leap.

Everything was fine with all 17 of them. Until about 2 months ago. We noticed one of the hens wasn't acting right. She seemed sick. So we pulled her from the coop and secluded her just in case. She was pretty much just bones and feathers and was a little smaller in size compared to the others. We figured maybe the others were just pushing her out of the way since she was so small. After a week of being secluded she seemed to be doing better. She was secluded for about 2 weeks before we noticed another hen not acting right. So we secluded her as well and actually had to force feed and water her. She died about a week later. The same thing kept happening over and over again to the rest of them. They weren't able to hold themselves up, their poop was runny and not healthy looking. We lost 5 hens this point. Then we noticed poop with blood in it. So I started looking online and came across a thread on here talking about Coccidiosis. So I began searching for Corid but everywhere was out of it. Finally this past Saturday we found it and started treatment. It saddens me because now we are down to only 8. 2 roosters and 6 hens. We have moved them out of the coop into a temporary one hoping it will help too.

Like I said we are completely new to raising them so we are looking for any help/advice we can get.

Thank you in advance.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining, its a pity that it is not under better circumstances that we have the opportunity to greet you. Its just my opinion, but to what extent moving them out of the coop will help, I am unsure. Chickens hate change, and it can cause stress - something they likely don't need at the moment.

If you can get hold of some electrolytes / vitamin supplements to add to their water its something that can help give their immune system a boost - its good to have on hand. I realise this is for the future, but you may find it useful to look at what other members keep as their chicken medicine cabinet (just type it in the search box) - its always good if you can be prepared.

Best wishes
    CT

3. ChrisNTiffs

ChrisNTiffs New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    Slickville,Pa
    We were told by someone that since we have lost so many and with the blood in the ones poop to move them so they don't eat that poop. I am not really sure if it will help or not. They do seem more active and happier since we've moved them. We are in the process of building new coop but it isn't ready yet.

We have started the vitamins in their water at the same time as the Corid.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Ah, OK - as long as they are perking up a bit thats great

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Happy you joined us. Sounds like you've got a handle on the health issues so I'll just say best wishes! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you are over the hump and that the newly treated birds will continue to do well. I know how heartbreaking it can be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by