Hi ya'll

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by steffi71, Mar 16, 2017.

1. steffi71

steffi71 New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    I live at the Lake of the ozarks in missouri and want to homestead as much as possible while working 40 plus hours a week. Always wanted to have chickens for my own fresh organic eggs. I want to convert my metal shed into a coop , but still have reservations. Does the inside has to be insulated or covered with wood? The floor is covered with paverstone ,what do you recommend to use for covering those ? Thanks for all the input and help in advance.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under steffi [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, living in Aus, our climate is different to yours so I would prefer not to use a metal shed and have no experience in converting one. However, I did pop ‘converting metal shed’ into the Search option and as you can see on the below screen shot, there are multiple threads on this subject that you might want to check out.

[​IMG]

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great links already from Teila so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Steffi, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! My birds here in Kansas live in an uninsulated metal coop so I think yours would be fine. Looks like you received some great links about about converting a shed to a coop - you could put straw or sand over the paver stones. Also, make sure the shed has some ventilation. Good luck to your conversion project and thanks for joining BYC!!

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You sure live in a beautiful area of MO, I've been through there several times. I agree with redsoxs that your uninsulated metal coop should be fine (there are some here in WY that don't insulate) and covering the pavers with deep litter should work well. The pavers will help keep digging predators out of your coop too.

Best wishes to you!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Metal get very hot or cold depending on the weather. It also rusts sooner or later. It may be harder to add ventilation vents, and probably doesn't have a window. Chickens love windows so they can look outside. It also lightens the coop at certain times of the day.. I'm not a construction person, so don't know what difficulty it would be to add insulation,,

I would think rats etc. would be able to dig up under your paver stones unless they are cemented together. It would have been good to put wire mesh under the stones but, it's probably too late to do that now.

Chickens can tolerate cold much better than heat - but metals sheds can become unbearable in full sun of summer.

7. steffi71

steffi71 New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Thank you all for the great Input . I have discovered that,due to.a slight slanted yard , the rain water runs toward and around the shed . It will be a little more than just converting.I will have to move the shed and the papers to ensure that the moisture during rain is not causing mold .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by