Hi y'all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cedar Creek Farm Lady, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Cedar Creek Farm Lady

Cedar Creek Farm Lady Crowing

Oct 12, 2019
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Hi y'all! I'm a retired nurse of 20 years, and have returned to my roots to be near family.
    I'm not "new new" to raising chickens, but just getting back into it after 20 years. When I started up my flock again I had a full blown case of chicken fever, so my hens & I may've went a bit chick crazy. I have about 70 chickens/chicks, 4 guineas, 4 ducks, 4 drakes, 12 bobwhites, 5 goats & 3 dogs with 30 coturnix in the incubator. I even have a hen that refuses to stop being broody, I figured that she may as well be sitting on some eggs, right?
    My favorite chickens are the cochin bantams, mine will eat from my hand, as will almost all of my chickens & guineas. I have named some of them, ie. Buckwheat, Fat Lady, etc.... we talk. My animals are my refuge & entirely therapeutic, bringing me much peace & happiness.
    I used to be an avid fiction reader, but now I'm a waterfowl, poultry & goat researcher. I've discovered some great things that have helped me along the way, and I've met some challenges as well. I even have my own success stories that may be helpful to others.
    I look forward to hearing others questions and responses, I'm sure to learn much from you all.

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    That's is a huge flock of birds! Congratulations on your retirement and return to keeping poultry.

3. Cedar Creek Farm Lady

Oct 12, 2019
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Thanks. I'll be having to thin the flock a bit since I've got too many roosters in my hatchlings.
    BYC forums has already helped me so hopefully I can help others too.

4. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Are you going to process the boys?

5. Cedar Creek Farm Lady

Oct 12, 2019
    Eastern Oklahoma
    I plan on taking them to the "Sale" once I'm more definite on which ones are the fellas. Plus they're bantams, I'd have to process them as Cornish hens.

6. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Queen Of The Coop

Jul 13, 2016
    Burdsville
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here and nice to meet you :love

7. N F C

N F C Moderator

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Impressive flock! Feel free to share pictures if you'd like :)

Make yourself at home here and thanks for joining us!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC and back to poultry keeping.

9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

10. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Oh. I didn't realize they were banties! It would take more than one to make a family meal. When you write "sale" do you mean a poultry swap? I've never actually been to one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: