1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Northernelf, May 29, 2016.

1. Northernelf

Northernelf Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    I am a new member and a new chicken owner. Well not completely new we purchased our chicks in February and they are just starting to lay. We have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. We are currently building a bigger and better coop and run for our girls. I have been coming to Backyard Chickens for ideas for several months now so better just own up to it and join up. The new coop is 8'X10' with a 4' covered porch. I am taking a portion inside for myself to use for the feed and whatnots. We will be accessing the next boxes from inside that space also. If I do add some more girls I will be able to move the feed cans and have a nice space for the getting to know each other faze. We live in Washington so standing in the rain gets pretty old pretty quick. The run will be all wire cloth to keep the critters out. We have several hawks and eagles that come around often. We also have most of the other predators around including the occasional mountain lion so safety has been foremost in our planning. That's about it. I am off to find some pictures of the interior of some coops to show my husband so he can see some of the things I am telling him.

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us. Make your self at home and feel free to ask as many questions as needed. I and many others are here to help.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to check out the predator threads. I think for Mountain lions you might need electrified fencing and shotgun [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by