Hi!

henmionegranger

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2016
Feeding chickens
I just joined BYC and am super excited to possibly be able to raise my own chickens. I am already planning and preparing for them! I would show my neighbors chickens this year through 4-H and (parents permitting) raise my own chicks next year!

Hello! Welcome to byc!

Raising chickens is super fun when you know all the important details. You should be able to find all the info you need here! I personally did myself.

Here's some important things to do before you get chickens:
-Have a plan for the coop. Getting stuck with out a coop stinks.
-Make sure there's no laws in your area against having chickens, and make sure your neighbors are on board with you having them. As long as you have big enough land and don't plan on getting a rooster, you should be fine!
-Have all your supplies ready.
-List predators in your area and be prepared to loose a couple of chickens, unless you put them in a run, a smaller fenced in area where chickens are only allowed to be unless let out into the yard.
-Research. IMPORTANT!

As long as you do the following, you should have a blast!

I was in the same boat is you in early August of last year. I wanted chickens! I finally got my wish and now have 6 chickens. Depending on your area, some chickens are more adapted to live in the really hot, or the really cold. Based on my area, (Connecticut) we got the following chickens: Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rock. These three breeds made an excellent pair! Be sure to check out the breeds section!

Good luck and welcome again! Chickens are lots of fun!

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! My neighbor who has chickens has recommended bantams to me. I need to do lots more research and I have some coop inspiration ideas!

Back
Top Bottom