Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lokira, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Well we moved over a month ago... Into a house that cane with this huge aviary what looked like nesting boxes and a hutch. We were wondering what to do with it when the letting absenteeism informed us they had to downsize their chickens and 5 hens were in fast need of new house!

So with a lot of help from them. A little DIY, we kitted out the aviary for them.

They seem to like it do far, I want to put some more perches in for then. It was very fast as they had no takers and they told us either we had them or it was the rainbow bridge. Which for us, isn't really a question.

All of the bedding that I spent ages nicely setting up in the nesting boxes has been utterly kicked out... Any advice?

We think we should put a plank of wood over the box at the bottom to create a lip so they can't just shove everything out of the boxes?

I know it will be waiting till spring before eggs anyway.. But I'm not sure what on earth to do if they decide the nesting boxes must be free from hay.

Any advice is good, I'm scouring the websites and reading what I can and I've been doing it every day for a few weeks now. I just find it's better to talk to people occasionally :) hence why I joined :)

[​IMG]

I didn't want to bother then too much. As yesterday they just got uprooted from home and popped somewhere new so I thought I'd live then a little bit of time to acclimatise.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! :frow that sounds like a good plan for the nesting boxes. They all look beautiful l. Do you know the breed?

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Yes, definitely add a lip to the front of the nesting boxes. Otherwise they are going to keep scratching the bedding out, and when they start laying the eggs will get knocked out too. Good luck with your flock!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. Thank you! I shall go over the links in the morning xD
    We're definitely going to Instal a lip on the nesting boxes, I think it shouldn't be too hard to find wood for it.
    My
    Were still geussing on the breed, I sent the agents an email asking though, seeing as they raised them I expect they know lol

Also, and for the reason I'm posting at 4am...

At about 3.30 am I went to the bathroom, which I go past the kitchen for. A few seconds after I had turned the light on... I heard a pretty loud, very distinct 'Cock-a-doodle-doo'. I was pretty baffled, thought I was hearing things.. But nope definitly what I heard. Is this normal behavior? I thought it was only boys that?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    SUBMIT button problem getting worse, 3 peated my reply. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  7. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    submit button malfunctioning AGAIN!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  8. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    oh dear sounds like they slipped a rooster or two in the mix. [​IMG] Welcome to Backyard chickens.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! [​IMG]

10. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Your birds are either Cochin bantams or Pekin bantams. I zoomed in on the photo and it looks like at least 4 of them are cockerels. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by