HI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ahoop, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Ahoop

Ahoop In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Hi Everyone! My name is Aimee and my husband, Mark, and I took a dive in to the deep end on Sunday and bought some chickens! I have been thinking about it for years, but he just jumped in and didn't look back, even after I hesitated! :)

We brought home 4 Pullets (at least we hope) since we can't have Roosters, per the ordinance since we live in the 'city'. (Thank goodness, we didn't get 6 like the sales guy recommended!) They seem to be doing well, so far, but we are now trying to prepare for the transition to the coop. Our city ordinance states we have to have 3sq ft/bird in the coop (12) and 7 sq ft/bird in the run. Does anyone have suggestions on if we should build a coop ourselves, or buy one? It seems like a prefabbed one doesn't have enough run space, but we could add on to it...or what are your suggestions? Insight? Thoughts? What are we missing? I did just order a book on raising chickens. I have a lot of reading to do too... so many things to learn and see....HELP!! :)

Thanks for reading my ramble! Aimee :)

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

I'm with @Texas Kiki , definitely build if you can!

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! :frow

5. Ahoop

Ahoop In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2019
    Wisconsin
    OK guys, so one of you is from Texas, and one is from Montana. @Meg-in-MT, do you have harsh winters that you have to deal with and what did you do to weatherize your coop?

6. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello Aimee.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Build your own coop.

7. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Enjoying Life!

Dec 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

8. Ahoop

Ahoop In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I already started browsing all these amazing coops. So excited!!

rte

9. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Aimee and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby. Home built coops are generally better. This link on space is useful - Space requirements

Here are some links to useful resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

10. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Aimee, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Build. And don't use 7 sq feet / bird in the run. Make it as big as you can. You won't regret it.
    You can also convert a shed into a coop if you have an old building you can recycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: