Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DirtLaneFarm, Feb 29, 2012.

1. DirtLaneFarm

DirtLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    My name is Lorrie and this is my first time to try and hatch out my own babies. I am excited and about to worry myself to death. Have read, read and read again everything I can. Got everything cleaned up, sanatized and set up and placed 8 eggs in the incubator on Sunday the 26th at 9:30 am. I constantly go by the room and check the temperature and humidity. Started out putting water in the middle reservoir but my humidity has been above 30% without any water, so I think I will leave it alone until the 18th day. Going to try the dryer method of incubating. We've had lots of rain off and on here lately. I have a Little Giant incubator that was still air, but we rigged up a computer fan that has about the same rpms as the incubator fan and installed it inside the incubator. We installed it with it's own plug so that it can be unplugged at the end of hatching if needed.
    This is the best site I have ever seen for information and experience.

I have 2 Sumatras and 6 Ameraucanas of various flavors. The Sumatra eggs seem very porous to me, but I am a noob, so I keep checking and smelling. Going to bring the grandkids over when it comes to hatching day so that can watch too. Hopefully I have planned carefully and they will hatch on a weekend and not while I am at work. That would be bad.

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Lots of good luck with your first hatch [​IMG] It's nerve-wracking at first, but once you get past that first time incubating eggs, the whole process is so much easier. But be warned, it's very addictive [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. chickie fam

chickie fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    Hope your hatch goes well and [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So happy you joined. Good luck with your hatching. :thumbsup

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens.

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

8. DirtLaneFarm

DirtLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Thank you to everyone! I have to say, it is addictive. I am already looking around for more eggs! I do not know about the Sumatra eggs. I can see that one has an air space and a yolk, but can't see much else. The other one, I can only see that there is a yolk. I know that it is early, but I still worry. Today is day 5 and I am probably getting ahead of myself.

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio.....Good luck with your 1st hatch.
    I am right behind you, my new incubator is currently on a fed ex truck enrt to me. YAY..... so I'll be in your shoes worrying too. Good luck with yours :)

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by