Hi!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kimmy Bear, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Kimmy Bear

Kimmy Bear New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Hi my name is Kim I am new to chickens but have always loved farming and birds since as along as I can remember. I don't own any chickens yet, I like to do my research well before I commit to anything especially when dealing with living things! I do currently own a budgie, green cheek conure, quaker parrot and orange winged amazon parrot. I live in the suburbs of metro Detroit where they just made owning a small group of personal chickens legal with a max of 3. I am super excited about this because living in the suburbs I never thought I could experience even the smallest taste of farm life, and now I can! I plan on raising them from chicks (I learned a lot about that already on this website). A lot of people in my area are buying their chicks from tractor supply co. and wondered if experienced chicken owners would recommend this. I also have no idea what to do when it comes to vaccinations on chickens, I do not vaccinate my parrots they are indoor. Thanks!

-Kim

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]There is a Parrots and other birds section here on BYC: Forums>Other Backyard Poultry> Caged Birds

3. Kimmy Bear

Kimmy Bear New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Ok thanks! Do you know if buying baby chicks from tractor supply co. is a good move?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OK I'll get slammed but I'm going to say NO. Reason being that most hatchery chicks are bred to lay early and burn out from laying much earlier also. They can also have sudden health problems that suddenly cause them to just die. It's happened to a lot of people here lately. If you get attached to things I would figure out the breed or breeds you want and then look for breeders. There are lots of us here, so you'll have hundreds to choose from.

BTW

[​IMG] [​IMG] from the California Central Valley!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  6. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!
    [​IMG]

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    I love budgies and parrots, they're beautiful birds! :love
    As for hatcheries, I would have no clue. :lol: I buy all my birds from the feed store, no idea where they've come from before that as they're two weeks old in the shop already. wolftracks knows what she's talking about though. :p
    Enjoy the site, and I hope you enjoy your chickens too when you get them. :D

8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH