HI :)

Ikaia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Hi guys, I've been reading articles on here for the past three weeks while some eggs were incubating and thought i'd finally actually join he party. I'm just a teen working on raising chickens and loving it so far. One little question, about how long can you wait after an egg is past its hatch day before you know it's not going to hatch? I put four in an incubator, each marked with the date it was put in. Two hatched, one had a messed up beak and didn't make it, and the other is still there. It was supposed to hatch on Sunday, and I know there's a chick in it, but I just don't know what to do.

ANYWAY, about me. I love chickens, cats, dogs, wolves. Odd combo huh? Basically I like any animals as long as they aren't out to get me. I read ALL the time and am currently enrolled in HighSchool, about to be a senior (YAY).

welcome-byc.gif
Have you tried candling? https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/candling-pics-progression-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs

I'll probably put up a separate thread for it, but just thought i'd slap it up here as well :p

Yeah I've candled them, and it looks like the last one. I can only see the air bubble and it looks just like the other two did before they hatched, but it just hasn't pipped or been wobbling yet. I would put a pic up, but the flashlight I use seems to have gone missing.

Well... I would usually give up on anything hatching around two days after the hatch date. If it hasn't pipped or rocked yet then it's probably dead. Sorry to be blunt like that, but that's the fact of it... two days after the hatch date, it would be big enough that any movement would show outside the egg (I think). But I haven't hatched very many myself, so I recommend you get someone else's advice.

ANYWAY, on to your introduction!

It's good to meet you! The great thing about BYC is that now I know I'm not the only crazy teenager trying to raise chickens. I'm sixteen and I'm about a quarter of the way through Year 11 (second-to-last year of school... no idea what that translates to in American terms) since our school-year runs the same as the normal year.

I, also, read almost constantly and love most animals. I'm trying to get over my fear of creatures like giraffes, swans, alpacas, and emus. In case you don't see the connection, it's the long necks. I'm sure they're lovely animals but the necks freak me out a little. My sister and I have a managerie of various 'small' animals (cats, rabbits, ducks, chickens) but our family's getting 'big' animals (sheep, goats, pigs) soon, hopefully.

Well, my family's had chickens since I was about two, mostly just ISA Browns bought at point-of-lay. Since the beginning of the year (I was given a bank account for my birthday in January), I've been saving up for various chickens to start my own flock. I now have somewhere around 25 chickens of various ages and breeds which I'm proud to call my own. The youngest are about 6 days at the moment and the oldest are about a year old. I also purchased an incubator awhile back and set some eggs yesterday.

So why does everyone think I'm crazy?

SO, anyway, good to 'meet' you, and I hope someone else is a little more helpful than I was!
from Rachel.

Thinking about and reading more, I think i've figured out my issue. HUMIDITY. Dang. I followed the book, but got real busy for several days the water was gone when I finally got back out to check them. Also, I have a feeling that I may have opened it couple times too close to the hatch day. Well, at least I got two healthy chicks out of this so far. Guess I'll known better this next time. I have four in the incubator right now, maybe five or six if any more are laid today. I think I'll give that one egg another day or two then get rid of it.

I only have four hens at the moment and we only find about 2 eggs a day. Given, the count seems to be going up a bit as it gets warmer. I've written the date I got the eggs directly on them this time so that I know for sure when they will hatch

Back
Top Bottom