1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HI!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by krazykat0373, Oct 4, 2012.

1. krazykat0373

krazykat0373 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    Southeast Oklahoma
    I am new to BYC and have learned a lot, and seen a bunch of interesting posts in the few days I have been coming to the site.[​IMG]

My name is Kat. I am a mother of 5, a grandmother of 2 and have been happily married to DH for 21 years. We moved to southeast Oklahoma from Ocala, FL in 2005 and would never dream of leaving.
    Last year I went in with a friend of mine and bought some royal palms from a hatchery. I kept 6 of them and out of those I had only one hen survive. After she was a good size, we just let her free range 24/7 with her roosting on the window A/C at night. She turned out to be quite the pet, coming in the shop with DH and supervising the repairs on our vehicles, sitting on his lap when he would take a break. I think hubby has a girlfriend. LOL. Anyways, around Feb. she came up missing, and we figured maybe something got her. One day hubby walked out to our totally empty coop (never went there cause we had no birds other than Phyllis and she stayed around the house) well, there she was, in a plastic barrel that had been cut in half, setting on 25 eggs!!! I was amazed, and felt bad for her, knowing she had laid all those eggs and was setting for nothing cause without a tom, I knew the eggs weren't fertile. So I called up my friend and asked if she would sell me some of her turkey eggs, well to make a long story a little shorter....

I now have 10 turkeys, 7 Royal Palms, 3 of which are toms, 2 Blue Slates: 1 tom & 1 hen, and one mixed hen, which I think is a royal/bourbon or bronze cross. I also have a love for Rhode Island Reds, which I have 9 of....1 rooster and 8 hens, and was given two of the ugliest chickens I have ever seen....2 turkens. cant wait to get an incubator, or for spring when the turkeys will set, so I can see what a Rhode Island Turken looks like. LOL. Included in our menegerie are 2 ducks, A Cayuga drake and a Muscovy hen, 7 California/New Zealand cross rabbits, 5 horses and our Dachshund "Bug"

Have a good un.......

Kat

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Sounds like you have quite the farm there! [​IMG] We'd love to see you in the Turkey and Duck sections [​IMG]

3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

4. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

5. krazykat0373

krazykat0373 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    Southeast Oklahoma
    thanks y'all....love this site!

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kat, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Wow! That's a great story. Glad you were able to get some fertile eggs for your turkey to set on. Good luck to you! [​IMG]

10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello from "the rolling hills" of Kentucky!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by