1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Emmy1010, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Emmy1010

Emmy1010 New Egg

Nov 28, 2012
    Hi! I'm new here and I was interested in getting a Bantam Silkie. Truth is I know nothing about raising them but I know I want one! [​IMG] It would be great for some advice on how to go about this whole process!!!! Thank you!!!!

2. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello! And welcome to BYC! Glad to have you aboard in the chicken world!

3. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    :welcome

4. bird sitter

I have and had many silkies some have passed away due to coons. 3 of my white silkies and one of my blue silkies got eaten by coons :/. I still have some left though :D! Very fun to have, but they strictly can't free range unless your out there becaus they cannot see and hawks could easily snatch them up! They are very easy to care for and easy to breed. I'm sure someone else can give you more info, but till then good luck! :D

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Chickens are very social creatures and get along much better if kept with other chickens, even a small group such as 2 or 3.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Emmy1010, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! I second the advice of 1muttsfan about getting at least two chickens...they are pretty sad when they are alone. Good luck to you!!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Emmy1010

Emmy1010 New Egg

Nov 28, 2012
    Ok thank you! I didn't know about buying more than one! Are they fairly easy to maintain and low in cost? Also do they have to be kept outdoors?

9. bird sitter

Not always! My silkies love to chill on the couch with me! :p

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by