1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hholzschu, Feb 24, 2013.

1. hholzschu

hholzschu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    Michigan
    So I broke down and bought three baby chicks yesterday from a local feed store. All the chicks seem to be doing well so far. I'm not too sure how my older girls will handle the new ones once they are old enough to go out to the coop. Any suggestions on how to do introductions?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. The intros shouldn't be made until the new ones are fully feathered (4-6 weeks). Then, allow them to have proximity and visual contact but not actual physical contact. Do this for a couple days do they get used to each other. Then when it's integration time I like to put the new ones in the coop at dark so the established birds don't pick on them. Then at first light, open the coop so the newbies aren't trapped with the older ones! Monitor how everyone gets along. Be prepared for the little ones to be pecked at - that's the Law of the Pecking Order. But if one is singled out, you may have to isolate it and re-introduce in a couple days. Good luck to you! BTW - there are a lot of good threads on BYC about this - just type 'introducing new chickens' into the BYC search bar.

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. Hi welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    To introduce them to the others first of all put the new ones in at night. If you want you could put a small run outside the older chickens coop for an hour a day once they are older.
    Good Luck!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

It often works better if you wait until the young birds are close in size to the older ones before combining them.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by