Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sandywitch, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Sandywitch

Sandywitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    I'm another newbie here. I'm thinking about starting to raise chickens. I'd only want to start with two. Hubby is about to retire in a month or two and will move back up here to Horse Cave, KY. I'm living on the edge of town now, but we also have 22 acres of woods only a mile from here. We plan to eventually build a house there. We already have a large metal barn, and we're still in the process of putting up a greenhouse (slowly on weekends). Our son and grandson are living on that property now in my large camper. I know hubby would want to build a hen house rather than buying one ready-made.

Back to me. I'm 65 and partially (but permanently) handicapped. I can stand and walk, but not for long because of damaged nerves in my lower back and legs. I would love to have just a few chickens, at least to begin with. My son recently captured four little pigs. He opened the gate to the garden and they wondered in. He then shut the gate! I won't even go look at them because I know I would name them all and the guys plan to feed them for a year and then...............BACON! Hence why I only want two hens for eggs. Any more than that and they might end up in the frying/roasting pan. I'd rather have friendly chickens that are good egg layers and pets as well. I need to learn everything about raising chickens. I gathered a few eggs as a child with my aunt, and I've also been inside a commercial chicken house, which is CRUEL! I don't know if I should start with chickens here in town and then move them to the woods when I do, or what. I know there are lots of racoons, possums, snakes, and maybe some coyotes and other creatures in our woods. I'd need a really secure hen house and roofed run in the woods and I'd have to drive back and forth twice a day, so I suppose I'll just wait and learn all I can about them now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard. [​IMG]

3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

4. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    I would definitely start in town with just two. You won't be able to enjoy them nearly as much if you have to drive to see them. If your hubby is handy then he should be able to create a nice chicken tractor for you so that it is all self contained and portable- that will make the move to the country eventually very easy on you and the birds. There are some great coop ideas on the coops pages here also. As far as breeds, there are lots of good ones that you will really enjoy. I would recommend getting two chicks and raising them all the way up instead of buying grown birds, That way they are use to you handling them and will be easier to catch and work with when you need to.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] Happy you joined!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! X2 start with two in town if you are allowed to have them. Much more fun to have pets close to you and you could get started now :). Maybe check out the coops section for some small coops that you would be able to take with you when you move permanently.

8. DustyDawgy

DustyDawgy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    U.S.A
    Hi, and welcome to BYC. I raised my hens from chicks, and I would highly advise doing this. I learned the hard way not to raise 4 chicks in your room, as they create a lot of dust. But, a smaller amount, such as two, raised in a laundry room or garage would be friendly and easily tamed. I would also advise making a food call, so if there is any danger anywhere on the farm, that they come running back to you. [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Have a look around the Learning Center for more on raising and keeping chickens, predators and predator protection etc. Enjoy the site!

10. Sandywitch

Sandywitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    I'm German, English, Irish, and French (I think)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by