Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sadiee21, Feb 2, 2014.

1. sadiee21

sadiee21 New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    Hi Everybody,
    My name is Nicky and I am from sunny Florida. I have been stalking BYC for a few weeks now as I have been gearing up for my chicks and I have already run in to some unexpected problems, so I figured now was the time to join.
    [​IMG] I figured my stalking could better used if I actually joined and asked the questions that I needed answers for such as: "What the heck do I do with possibly 24 roos?" (see explanation below). I have three kids and a husband who are a fully behind the chick raising thing as long as I do all the work and they can just eat the eggs and pet the chicks. The dog is not to thrilled but she will adapt. well I am not big on talking about myself so I will end it here. The explanation for the Roos is below and if anyone has an answer I would be ever so thankful.[​IMG]
    I just received my first order from Ideal ( I ordered 9 EE, I am allowed 5, I ordered more just in case) after the first shipment arrived all DOA, I received a box with 34 chicks. Um, that is 29 to many and from stalking this site probably 25 roos, which are also a no-no. I think I figured out what the packing peanuts are but who wants that many roos.
    Bye,
    Nicky

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

So sorry about the first batch of babies. It is tough to order chicks this time of year what with all the cold, and having them all survive. Did you order a straight run? You are bound to get way too many roos that way. You can always re home them or eat them if you have too many.

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Chicks added for warmth do tend to be males. You have several options; you can sell them, keep them, or eat them. Roosters can be hard to sell unless they're a rare breed or popular breed, and you may have more luck just giving them away. $5-15 is a fair price for a rooster, if you decide to sell them.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. sadiee21

sadiee21 New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks for all the welcoming replies. I ordered 9 pullets and received the 9 plus an additional 25 apparently for warmth. Sadly a few over the last day have not made it but we will try to give away/ sell the others via craigslist over the next week. Thanks again everyone.
    Nicky

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can see how much male chicks are worth to the hatcheries, they send so many just to warm up the box. They are thrilled to get rid of them. It's really sad.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    :welcome you can put them on Craig's list and hopefully find homes for a lot of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by