Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by spitfirecream15, Dec 5, 2014.

1. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    Hi everyone,
    I joined BYC 3 days ago looking for some help for my hens who are eating eggs. I started a thread, got lots of replies, and hopefully will be able to stop them from eating their eggs now.
    I have spent some time getting to know BYC (as much as I could in 3 days) and I really like it!
    I have 5 White Leghorns, 3 Old English Game Banties and 4 bunnies (I don't know if it's against the rules to mention them here, they live with the chickens so I thought I'd include them). I'm very passionate about my chickens and wouldn't trade them for anything! Although I would like to get some guineas. Everyone I meet quickly learns how much i love chickens!
    I also like birds of any kind. I love Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Hope this is okay: I'm posting their link here. http://allaboutbirds.org/ I am always advocating bird conservancy :)
    I like outdoorsy stuff too.
    Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself! So that's about it for now.

Spitfirecream15

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!!

I hope you can get the egg eating under control. I had some egg eating going on in my flock and seemed to curb all of it with curtains hanging over the nest boxes. They slip through the middle where the curtains come together, but these curtains keep the boxes dark and the hens can't cruise for eggs from the outside. And they don't seem to bother the eggs in the dark boxes. Keep some fake eggs in there too.

Oh I am a supporter of the Cornell Lab!! Love what they do! And I frequent that website as well. :) Lots of really great information on migrating birds, IDing and other great facts!! By chance are you involved in the USGS Phenology bird card transcriptions??? (transcribing old field cards from the late 1800's to the mid 1900's on IDs, migrations, specimens, etc) I have been volunteering for a few years. Really fun to do!! Send me a private message if you want more info! :)

Good luck with your egg eaters and we do welcome you to our flock!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    glad you joined the flock

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you decided to join us.

7. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    [​IMG]

Glad you joined!!

8. spitfirecream15

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    hi again! thanks for the warm welcome! i like what I've seen so far of the BYC community, i'm happy to be on the network!

9. spitfirecream15

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    Hi TwoCrows,
    I think I will just look up the bird cards thing, sounds very interesting. I'm not online very often and don't do much messaging but thanks anyway. Also thanks for the info on curbing egg eating. I will definitly try curtains on the nest boxes.
    Thanks!
    spitfirecream15

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by