Hiccups, seizure or what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robinwiththechickens, May 1, 2011.

1. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    My 5-week old EE chick looks like she has the hiccups or is having a seizure or something. She only seems to do this when she roosts. She has had a whole host of problems in her short life. From day one she seemed to be a slow learner (she didn't learn to jump until about a week ago.) She was sleepy and anti-social, always with her head in the corner or eyes closed. Then about a week ago she got a swollen bubbly eye. I put antibiotics in the water 5 days ago, and as of yesterday she seemed less sleepy and swollen, but now this hiccup thing...

I've uploaded a YouTube video of her, as the hiccup thing is hard to describe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I'm sorry I have no advice for you. [​IMG] I hope someone comes along soon who does. Good luck to you and your chick!

3. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    Thanks for the support even if you can't help. I do hope someone will have seen something like this before. Poor dear has had so many problems and isn't even 6-weeks old yet. Antibiotics do seem to be helping with most of the problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by