1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hidden nest!!! Now what???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepmommy, Feb 29, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    So, I finally found the sneaky hen hiding all of her eggies from me!! 34 eggs+1 double yolker!!!! Anyway, a couple of questions... She was sitting on the nest and cooing, but many of them were not under her (not big enough with all of those eggs!!) I took all of the eggs because I am not ready for her to go broody on me. The nights here are still pretty cold. Will she continue to lay now that I've taken them? Are they any good to eat? I mean some are obviously 34 days old... I don't know what to do!!!! Atleast I know where one of the nests are and I will be sealing that area up this weekend. I also know that I have a tricky hen on my hands. I also know who wants to be a mom when the time comes. Any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks a bunch!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    BUMP!!

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Not really sure. Do you have any nights below freezing? Do you have a rooster because some of them could be fertile and in development. You could do the float test on them. Well if worse comes to worse I would crack each one open in a bowl and give it a sniff test then make the girls a honking big order of scrambled eggs.

4. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    It hasn't been too terribly cold here. Our nights get into 25-35. Days are ranging from 40-55. She is not really sitting on them as much as I thought. She is inside the coop every night so the eggs are exposed. I did a float test and some of them floated, some partially floated, some did not float at all. I don't know, I just HATE the thought of wasting all of these eggs!!!!! Wait and see, I'll find another nest of 35 somewhere else tomorrow. I am really looking now!!

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If your unsure about them cook em and feed them to the chickens and what other critters you have.

6. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    Well, after thinking about it all night, I am giving up on all of those eggs I found. I'm just a little nervous and the last thing I want is to poison someone! I'm gonna cook the best scrambled eggs ever for the ladies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by