1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

hidden nest of eggs hatchable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bethanyrae, May 29, 2010.

1. bethanyrae

bethanyrae Songster

Apr 5, 2009
    mid-Michigan
    I just found a nest under the bushes next to the house that 2 or 3 gals have been contributing to. They had moved when disturbed a little over a week ago and it took me that long to find them. aughgh.

Are these eggs still hatchable? I understand hens will collect eggs in a nest for a while then start setting on them for a hatch.

I took the temp next to the nest, and in the heat of the day it read between 65 and 68 degrees.

Has anyone ever tried to hatch "hidden" eggs before? Or should we just leave it to the hens for that...

Thanks

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    did they set on them at all? if they were just laid and left then I would incubate.....I also would consider letting them do it if they are in a safe spot, already almost lost one broody cuz she got somewhere I couldn't get her, but the skunk could...

3. bethanyrae

bethanyrae Songster

Apr 5, 2009
    mid-Michigan
    They're not broody. They're just ignoring the nesting boxes. My gals will all line up to use a corner and ignore the nesting boxes. I think they were tired of waiting in line, so flew over the fence and into the flower bed.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If you do incubate them, make SURE you keep an eye on them closely to make sure they don't explode. I have found guinea nests and incubated them, and that's how I know about candling often to make sure none are rotten LOL!!!! Usually you will smell them before they blow.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    eh, I would throw them in the bator is you were in the mood for hatchin' [​IMG] . Any "loose" eggs here get found by the skunk before I get them...I just find the shells [​IMG] If you don't want to incubate you can also just cook them up and feed back to the chickens so they aren't wasted....

6. ga_goat

ga_goat Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I have 41 eggs in the incubator now from 'found' nests from a neighabor's flock of ameracanas and the hatch started last nite , there are at least 5 chicks in there now ,and more to come ,,,, hatch them ,, if you only get 50% that more than now ...[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by